Ya'alon: I wasn't snubbed during recent visit in US

The defense minister said officials were busy due to the upcoming elections.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 4, 2014 23:24
1 minute read.
Moshe Yaalon

Moshe Yaalon. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said Tuesday that the dispute between the government of Israel and the US government was outed inappropriately, "whether on our part or their part."

Ya'alon, referring to reports that he had received a cold shoulder in Washington, said that most government officials were busy with the upcoming elections and therefore could not meet with him.

However, a US official told The Jerusalem Post last month that "We were shocked by some of the comments that he has made in the past, so it should come as no surprise that he wasn't able to get some of the meetings he requested."

Ya'alon said the he hoped the violence in Jerusalem had peaked, and now the region's leaders understand that they need to calm the situation.

The defense minister spoke at the unveiling of an Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) production line where wings for the F-35 fighter jet will be produced at its Lod plant.

During his visit to Washington last month, Ya'alon sought meetings with Vice President Joe Biden, US Secretary of State John Kerry and national security advisor Susan Rice.

While none of the meetings were granted, Ya'alon was received by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel at the Pentagon with a small honor guard.

Michael Wilner contributed to this report


Related Content

A general view shows the dock of the U.S. aircraft carrier USS George H. W. Bush, as it docks at Hai
September 15, 2019
More talk on a U.S.-Israeli defense treaty. But where's IDF Chief Kochavi?

By ANNA AHRONHEIM