Yehuda Glick: Terrorist called me 'an enemy of al-Aksa’ and shot me

In improved condition, victim of shooting attack in Jerusalem recounts assassination attempt to chief rabbi.

November 17, 2014 15:59
1 minute read.

Yehuda Glick meets chief rabbi

Yehuda Glick meets chief rabbi


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi David Lau visited Yehudah Glick, the Temple Mount activist who was shot in an assassination attempt last month, at the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem on Monday.

Glick was the victim of an assassination attempt at the end of October and was shot at point-blank range. He is now awake, breathing without assistance and fully communicative.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Lau told Glick that the 16-member Council of the Chief Rabbinate had been praying for his recovery and had requested continuous updates on his condition, and that the rabbis had continued to pray for him after his situation stabilized and he was out of immediate danger.

“I haven’t yet succeeded in finding the right place at this moment to go up,” the chief rabbi told Glick, seemingly in reference to the possibility of praying on the Temple Mount. “I am praying with you that, God willing, both of us will stand there in order to give thanks.

Remember, we will stand there and give a thanks offering together,” he said.

During the visit, Glick related to Lau the last moments he remembered of the assassination attempt.

“He came up to me, stood in front of me, I obviously in my naiveté believed him. He said to me, ‘I’m really sorry, but you are an enemy of al-Aksa’, and shot me twice... in the arm and in the stomach, and then I saw someone, Shai [Malka, the director of the Likud’s Jewish Leadership faction]... and we ran,” he told the chief rabbi, describing the moment when the emergency services arrived at the scene.

Glick was shot four times in total, and the bullets punctured one lung, entered his throat and hand, fractured some ribs and caused more significant harm to his small and large intestines.

He told Lau that he could be released from hospital within two weeks.

Judy Siegel contributed to this report.

Related Content

July 16, 2018
Country’s residents worry about impending big earthquake