16 wounded in Umm el-Fahm march

Deputy police chief among hurt in protests as right-wing activists march through Arab town.

March 23, 2009 23:52
1 minute read.
16 wounded in Umm el-Fahm march

umm el-fahm march 248 88 ap. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


At first, it appeared as if the far-Right march on the outskirts of Umm el-Fahm could defy fears and end peacefully, as police flashed messages on beepers reporting a surprising calm during the start of the 800-meter procession. But shortly after 10:30 a.m., several waves of rock-throwing and violent clashes by the town's residents began, prompting riot police to respond with stun grenades and tear gas. Several undercover police agents mixed in with the mob acted, pouncing on rioters, and arrested 10 suspects. The suspects were "endangering lives" and had "taken part in disturbances," said police sources. Police kept to a strict policy of using non-lethal crowd dispersal methods to defuse the event and prevent it from spiraling out of control. Some 2,500 officers flooded the area, forming a human shield around the approximately 100 marchers and their leaders, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Baruch Marzel. Sixteen policemen, including deputy police chief Insp.-Gen. Shahar Ayalon, were hurt in the clashes. Ayalon required hospitalization, but none of the injuries were said to be serious. "We expected this," police chief Insp.-Gen. David Cohen told The Jerusalem Post. Cohen was speaking at an event held near Rehovot to evaluate the work carried out by the police's Central Unit. He said police had made preparations for the eventuality of riots spreading to other Arab areas in the country, a scenario that, by Tuesday evening, appeared unlikely. Cohen added that Arab Israeli communal leaders appeared to recognize that the march was like a "passing wind," and expressed hope that violence would not spread. "We are securing this democratic march, which was approved by the police and the High Court," he said. Northern Police District head Cmdr. Shimon Koren praised the conduct of officers, saying that "determination and large forces thwarted attempts to disrupt the march." Koren said his officers had "responded immediately to all disturbances that threatened the safety of others."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town