2 Arabs charged with defying IDF censor

E. J'lem Iranian TV employees accused of reporting IDF's ground entry into Gaza hours before permitted.

By ETGAR LEFKOVITS
January 12, 2009 20:11
1 minute read.
2 Arabs charged with defying IDF censor

journalists media 248.88.ap. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Two Arab journalists were charged Tuesday with passing secret information to the enemy when they allegedly broke censorship by reporting on IDF troop movements in real time. The alleged incident occurred during a broadcast on Iran's Al-Alam Arabic-language satellite TV channel on January 3, the day IDF ground forces entered the Gaza Strip. The two east Jerusalem residents, Hadir Shaheen 34, and producer Mohammed Sarhan, 26, work for the Ramallah-based PMCC production company, which provides media services for Al-Alam. The two were reporting from the Israeli side of the Gaza border when they noticed IDF forces preparing for the ground incursion, the indictment states. The two began a live broadcast detailing the troops' movements, even though they knew that the information had not yet been cleared by the military censor and that it could harm the operation, the charge sheet says. The detailed reports were then broadcast in Iran as well as on Arabic satellite stations, including ones available in the Gaza Strip, which put the lives of IDF soldiers at risk, police said. The suspects, who were arrested last week, deny the charges, claiming they were broadcasting content that was available on other media outlets at the time. During a custody hearing held on January 6, the Petah Tikva Magistrate's Court agreed to the state's request that the two be held until the end of legal proceedings. The presiding judge said he feared the suspects would flee to the Palestinian-controlled areas if released. Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN