Acre metal factory blaze extinguished

Investigation launched to expose those responsible for the fire.

May 22, 2010 22:57
1 minute read.
builiding on fire

building on fire. (photo credit: illustrative)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Firefighters extinguished the fire the broke out in an Acre metal processing plant Sunday morning after nearly 24 hours.

Environmental Protection Minister Gilad Erdan initiated a criminal investigation into the causation of the fire, in order to discover who will be held responsible for the disaster.

The fire at the "Hod Pladot" plant began around 11 a.m. at the plant’s waste collection area, and it was believed that hazardous materials were being burned by the flames, making the fumes potentially harmful.

Earlier in the day hundreds of  residents in nearby communities were advised to remain indoors to avoid inhaling hazardous smoke. A Ministry for Environmental Protection hazardous materials treatment patrol was called in by the emergency services and consulted on the fire.

In the afternoon, environmental experts declared the smoke non-hazardous, despite the toxic substances being burned up, because the blaze and toxic smoke stayed safely high in the atmosphere.

Thirty firefighter teams were at work on the site in the evening, trying to get the fire under control. An initial eight teams from the Western Galilee Region had not sufficed, and support was called in from other regions.

Great plumes of thick smoke rose above the Haifa Bay and spread across Route 4, causing it to be intermittently closed between Albin and Ein Hamifratz junctions due to the smoke, and police were redirecting traffic to alternative routes.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town