'Arab Israelis tried to murder student'

Silwan men charged with attempting to murder American studying at HU as he returned to dorms.

March 24, 2009 21:09
'Arab Israelis tried to murder student'

Forest 248.88. (photo credit: Jonathan Beck [file])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Jerusalem District Attorney's Office has filed an indictment against three Israeli Arabs accused of attempting to murder an American student at the Hebrew University in February. A fourth man involved in the attack will be charged separately. According to the charge sheet released Tuesday, Ahmed Ouda, 28, Fathi Zeytun, 18, and Rabiya Jit, 21, all residents of the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan, along with Osama a-Razak, 19, pounced on the student while he walked through nearby Jerusalem Forest on his way to the campus dorms. The student, who has been studying in Israel for 11 months, told police his attackers tried to slash his throat several times while beating him. The four managed to deeply cut the victim's right cheek before fleeing the scene. The student, left alone and bleeding, carried on through the forest for 40 minutes by foot until he reached Dung Gate, where he called for help. He was evacuated to Sha'are Tzedek Hospital for treatment.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town