Doctor: It's a miracle Golani soldier still alive

Wounded arrive at Soroka Hospital as anxious families await their recovery.

January 4, 2009 23:25
2 minute read.
Doctor: It's a miracle Golani soldier still alive

idf troops enter gaza 248 88 ap. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The corridors of Beersheba's Soroka Hospital were bustling on Sunday as dozens of soldiers wounded in the Gaza fighting began arriving for treatment and their families, friends and brothers-in-arms poured in to offer support. Two of the most seriously wounded - an infantryman and an officer - were being treated in the same ward on an upper floor of the sprawling complex. While the officer was reportedly unconscious - heavily medicated and between surgeries - the infantryman, head and body swathed in bandages and gauze, told The Jerusalem Post from his hospital bed that he had been in the middle of a bad round of fighting just after his unit crossed the border into the strip. "It wasn't fun," he said before turning away. "I don't want to talk about it right now." The officer's family paced around a waiting area as his brother answered phone call after phone call, repeating the same information. "Yes, he was badly wounded," the brother would say. "In the head. We don't know. We're praying." Other soldiers and civilians milled around, coming and going as their phones rang incessantly. "I've been doing this all day," said a female soldier from a paratrooper battalion, her eyes weary from lack of sleep. "My job is to check on the wounded and keep track of their status. I've been here since five o'clock this morning." Another group of soldiers - members of a platoon of Golani infantry that had been hit nearly dead-on by a mortar round - was scattered throughout the hospital, undergoing various types of treatment, including surgery. Standing near the entrance to the thoracic surgical wing, a young man who identified himself as Haim said he had been there to greet his brother Nathan, a member of the platoon, when he arrived in a medevac helicopter a few hours before. "I spoke to him," Haim said. "He was talking, slowly, but he was talking. He said they had just entered into Gaza, through a fence, and they crouched down, I guess to take a minute and get their bearings. The next thing they knew, a 120 mm. mortar round landed within meters and they were all wounded by shrapnel." "We saw the shrapnel they took out of his chest," said Nathan's sister, who stood nearby and showed an imaginary metal fragment with her fingers. "They said it was over 2 cm. long." "They also said it was 1 mm. away from hitting his windpipe," Haim added. "One millimeter over and, well...the doctor said it was a miracle." But Nathan's wasn't the only miracle at Soroka on Sunday. All but one of the soldiers who had been hit by the mortar round were being treated for various shrapnel wounds listed as "light" and were expected to make full recoveries. In a smoking area outside the hospital, a Golani private, visibly shaken, said he was a member of the platoon whose men were hit by the mortar shell and that in the aftermath, his mother had revoked her permission for him to go into combat. He was an only son and army protocol required a parent's signature. His mother, he explained, had had a change of heart. "But I'm dying to go back in there," the private said, sucking down the cigarette he had just lit with shaky hands. "I'm not going to tell you that it wasn't frightening. We went in, it was all quiet, and then boom, the mortar hit and Hamas fighters started coming out. We repelled them, but it was a real balagan."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town