Education Ministry summons principal over textbook

High school in Sha'ar Hanegev using textbook banned by Education Ministry over 5 years ago that gives Palestinian narrative to 1948.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 3, 2010 06:39
1 minute read.
Education Ministry summons principal over textbook

education ministry bldg 224.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimki)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A high school principal was summoned for a hearing by the Education Ministry for using a textbook that presents the Palestinian narrative about events surrounding the 1948 War of Independence, officials said Friday.

The principal of the Sha'ar Hanegev high school has been told to report next week to clarify with Education Ministry officials his school's use of an unapproved textbook, ministry spokesman Hagit Cohen told The Associated Press.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
'Naqba’ bill approved for first reading
Sa'ar drops 'Nakba' from Arab textbooks

The textbook in question gives the Israeli narrative of the War of Independence next to that of the Palestinians, with blank space in the middle for students to insert their own thoughts, according to a report this week in Haaretz.

An unnamed teacher at the school told Haaretz that the ministry instructed the school to pull the book two days after the academic year began this month.

Cohen, the ministry spokeswoman, said the book was rejected by the Education Ministry five years ago, not during the term of the current government. The ministry's policy has always been to summon principals for clarification whenever unauthorized materials are used, she said.

"This is not about the content of this particular textbook," Cohen said.



She would not say what steps the Education Ministry might take.

Michal Shaban-Ketzer, a spokeswoman for the local council with jurisdiction over the school, confirmed that the principal had been summoned. School officials would not comment further until after the hearing, she said, and officials at the school could not be reached directly for comment.

Last year, the education minister ordered references to the Palestinian naqba, or "catastrophe," removed from a textbook for Arab third-graders.

Teachers were free to discuss the personal and national tragedies that befell Palestinians, Education Minister Gideon Saar, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's ruling Likud party, told Parliament at the time. However, he said that "no other country in the world, in its official curriculum, would treat the fact of its founding as a catastrophe."

The third-grade textbook had been approved two years earlier.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN