False reports of Salah’s death send supporters dashing to TA

Islamic leader reported alive and well hours later.

June 1, 2010 06:28
2 minute read.
Sheikh Raed Salah

Sheikh Raed Salah 311. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Shock, confusion, and anger gripped the corridors of Sheba Medical Center near Tel Aviv on Monday, as rumors swirled that Sheikh Raed Salah, leader of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement in Israel, was wounded or killed in the IDF raid on the Gaza flotilla early Monday morning.

By Monday evening, security services had confirmed that Salah was alive and still on the Mavi Marmara passenger ship, possibly suffering from minor injuries. The confirmation came hours after rumors of Salah’s demise had run wild through Arab communities across Israel, as followers of Salah feared the worst and police braced for major riots.

By late Monday morning, hundreds of supporters, relatives, and associates had arrived at the trauma ward of Sheba Medical Center, including Salah’s wife, brother, and several close associates. Despite their closeness to the sheikh, none of them had any notion of his whereabouts or physical condition, and all said that they had not heard from him since he set sail with the Gaza flotilla last week.

In the corridor outside the operating room, hundreds of Arab Israelis, most of them men, waited in near silence for some news. Most appeared crestfallen and angry, and a number appeared to have tears in their eyes. In front of the supporters stood a number of officers from the elite Yassam police anti-riot unit who kept them from entering the operating room.

At the same time that rumors were circulating that the man inside the trauma unit was Salah, doctors were treating two IDF soldiers seriously wounded during the takeover. At one point, IDF chief Rabbi Avichai Ronsky walked through the crowd of Salah’s supporters, after visiting with families of the wounded soldiers. Earlier, a verbal altercation broke out between families of the soldiers and supporters of Salah, and police stepped in to prevent the situation from becoming violent.

In the late morning a police crime scene unit arrived in order to do fingerprint exams on the man believed to be Salah. Following the tests, which proved negative, Sheba Medical Center officials took Salah’s wife and brother into the operating room to see the seriously wounded man, believed to be a Turkish citizen who resembled Salah. Following the visit, both told supporters and the reporters present that the man in question was not the leader of the Islamic Movement.

In spite of such reports, supporters remained at the hospital for hours, with many saying that they believed authorities were hiding the truth to stave off protests in the Arab sector.

Mustafa Mohajni, a former member of the Umm el-Fahm council, came to the hospital and told reporters “we have no idea where the sheikh is, we have no idea whatsoever what is going on. The police, the army, no one is telling us anything. Why don’t they tell us what is happening? Why won’t they try to calm the situation?”

Umm el-Fahm is home to the headquarters of the Northern Branch of the Islamic Movement and Salah was once mayor of the city. The city saw protests and clashes with police throughout the day Monday following the news of the deadly raid on the Gaza flotilla.

In 2003, Salah was arrested and jailed for raising money for Hamas. He was released in 2005.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town