Girl admits to fabricating Tel Aviv rape story

19-year-old had claimed man locked her up, raped her.

August 10, 2009 12:20


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Tel Aviv man who had been arrested on suspicion of locking a 19-year-old in his apartment and raping her was released on Sunday after the teen admitted to fabricating the story. A criminal case was opened against the girl, a Netivot resident, and she was released on bail after being arrested. She had told police that she met the man over the Internet, and agreed to pay him a visit in his north Tel Aviv apartment at the weekend. Minutes after arriving, she had said, the man tried to force himself upon her, and after she pushed him away, he locked her up in a room and raped her. She claimed that she managed to escape after three days on Sunday night, while the man was showering. Police arrested the man in his home after the girl filed a complaint against him, and he denied the allegations. After questioning the girl, detectives said that some of the things she had said didn't quite add up, and they called her back for a further session on Monday. There she admitted to making up the story, saying she did so because the man threw a flower she had given him back at her and swore at her.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town