Israeli hikers found alive in Chile

"When we were spotted by the helicopter, it was the happiest moment."

December 25, 2006 00:37
2 minute read.
chile forest 298

chile forest 298. (photo credit: Courtesy of


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


"When we were spotted by the helicopter, it was the happiest moment," said Gal Idan, one of the three Israeli hikers who were rescued late Sunday night after going missing in Chile last week. Idan, Nimrod Vered and Lior Rozen were found in a narrow creek in one of the country's huge national parks just as efforts to widen the search were set to begin. Last week, the Israelis began a trek close to the city of Osserano. Local authorities near Puyehue National Park, where the hikers were last seen, were limited by snowy weather on Saturday to a three-hour search with only one helicopter. In an interview with Army Radio, Idan recalled the difficult terrain and increasingly worsening conditions the three had had to cope with: "Some moments were really tough. More than once we reached precipices of four or five meters. Lior fell four or five meters, and later Nimrod also fell. On the last day, we found leeches on our bodies." Idan said they'd had "one hell of a diet," calculating their food rations severely: "We rationed food supplies of four days to last us around two and a half weeks. We each ate one cup of cold pasta a day and had cold soup because our gas burner didn't work." The Israeli consul in Santiago had "received indications that other travelers saw the missing Israelis on the trail within the first three days of their hike [six days ago]," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Yael Ravia-Zadok told The Jerusalem Post earlier Sunday. Their trek should not have taken more than five days, but none of the missing hikers had been in contact with friends or family for nine days. According to Ravia-Zadok, intensified aerial searches including three helicopters - one belonging to the local authorities, one private, and one owned by an Israeli insurance company - were carried out on Sunday. In coordination with the helicopter searches, volunteers on the ground combed the park. Volunteer teams were comprised of people from the area, as well as Israeli travelers. Ravia-Zadok said the Foreign Ministry's department for Israelis abroad had been in constant contact with the hikers' families in Israel. Idan said the hikers never lost faith in their families: "We had no doubt we will be rescued. I knew our families were taking care of us." Summing up the experience, Idan said, "I would not recommend it, but it was an amazing experience. It really makes you small and gives new meaning to your life. I love Israel more and I love Nimrod and Lior more. Every minute will have new meaning from now on."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town