Jew shot dead by guards after trying to enter Gaza

Israeli shot dead trying

December 7, 2009 08:14
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

IDF soldiers and Defense Ministry security guards shot and killed an Israeli man who attempted to infiltrate the Gaza Strip early Monday morning near the Erez Crossing. The man was identified as Yakir Ben-Melech, 34, from Tel Aviv. Defense officials said that Ben-Melech arrived at the crossing at around 1 a.m., parked his car and began walking towards the crossing's security fence. Security guards stationed at the Erez Crossing, the main terminal used to cross between Israel and Gaza, called on him to stop and fired some dozen warning shots in the air. When Ben-Melech ignored the shots and continued trying to climb the fence, the guards opened fire at Ben-Melech's legs, in accordance with military regulations. He bled to death as a result of a gunshot wound to the leg, IDF sources said. The IDF and the Defense Ministry, which operates the crossing, launched an investigation into the incident and found that the security guards had acted according to regulations. Ben-Melech was wearing a heavy coat, raising suspicions that he was carrying weapons or explosives, although he was later found to have been unarmed. "The guards had no way of knowing who he was and feared that his attempted infiltration was part of a larger-scale terror attack," one official explained. The investigation into the motives behind the entry attempt is ongoing.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town