Large fire breaks out in Tel Aviv's Shalom tower

Emergency services evacuate all of building's occupants, nearly 60 firefighters rush up 29 floors, take turns dousing flames.

November 17, 2010 20:42
1 minute read.
Fire breaks out at Shalom Tower, Tel Aviv

Shalom Tower fire 311. (photo credit: Aloni Mor)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A large fire broke out on the top two floors of Tel Aviv’s landmark Shalom Tower on Wednesday, sending black plumes of smoke into the city’s evening sky.

With electricity and elevator services cut off, emergency workers evacuated all of the building’s occupants, and nearly 60 firefighters equipped with oxygen tanks rushed up 29 floors to take turns dousing the flames.

Wave of fires breaks out across Israel
Teens suspected of starting fires

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Firefighters battled for several hours to get the fire under control, and said their efforts were hampered by the high location of the fire, the lack of electricity and elevators, and an initial problem in pumping water up to the top of the 34-story, 142-meter tower.

“We treated four people for smoke inhalation on the scene. They were not seriously injured,” a Magen David Adom paramedic said.

The fire broke out at about 4:30 p.m., and a large number of fire engines, ambulances and police converged on the scene, initially fearing mass casualties.

Toward the evening, fears of a serious incident faded, although firefighters asked police to move crowds of onlookers back from the building due to concerns that parts of the upper structure were not entirely sound after exposure to high temperatures.

Police officers completed a second scan of the building to ensure that no occupants were trapped inside, giving the all-clear by 8 p.m.

“We received reports of a fire this afternoon. Our forces are focused on the 29th and 30th floors of the building,” a firefighter spokesman said earlier during the day.

Police had sealed all roads leading to the area and asked members of the public to avoid the scene.

Investigators said it was too soon to know what had caused the blaze, adding that a full investigation would begin after the final flames were out.

Based on an initial analysis, they believe the fire had one source, rather than having begun in more than one place, which could have indicated foul play.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town