MIA's family to sue State, IDF officers

Family of Yehuda Katz accuse security services of failing to determine his fate.

By
February 1, 2006 19:04
1 minute read.
MIA's family to sue State, IDF officers

yehuda katz 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The family of Yehuda Katz, one of three soldiers missing since the 1982 battle at Sultan Yakoub in Lebanon, intends to sue the State of Israel and two senior IDF officers to the tune of 4 million shekels for mishandling the entire investigation surrounding the soldiers' disappearance. Katz's family accuse the security establishment of failing to determine Katz's fate along with Zacharia Baumel and Tzvi Feldman, and opted to declare the three dead and place of burial unknown, without supplying the family concrete information to support the decision. Represented by lawyers Yishi Sarid and David Shrim, the family plans to lodge their complaint at the Jerusalem District Court. According to media reports, the two officers the family intends to sue are former head of the Manpower Division, Maj.Gen. (Res.) Gil Regev, and OC Chaplaincy Corps Brig.Gen. Yisrael Weiss. According to the family, Katz's mother suffered a stroke and the family suffered further anguish after they declared that Katz was dead. In a high profile interview in May last year, Regev accused the army of failing to do enough to secure the MIAs' return, and said that officials involved in searching for the whereabouts of the MIAs also believed they were dead but were unable to face the families. In February 2004, he concluded that the three soldiers from the Sultan Yakoub battle were killed in action, their place of burial unknown, as a result of findings drawn up by a panel he headed. Katz's sister, Pirchiya Heiman, told reporters that she hoped the court action would stir up the security establishment and force them to review the entire handling of the case and the reason that the three soldiers were declared dead.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN