Mavi Marmara heads back to Turkey

Ship raided by IDF leaves Haifa port along with two others.

August 5, 2010 17:33
1 minute read.
Footage from onboard the Mavi Marmara.

mavi marmara 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Mavi Marmara, one of the ships in the Turkish flotilla intended to break Israel's naval blockade on the Gaza strip, was pulled back to Turkey by two other ships on Thursday, Israel Radio reported.

Two other Turkish flotilla ships are reportedly still docked in the Haifa port, and will be brought back to Turkey later on Thursday.

'It should have never come to this'
IDF probe: Army didn't have ‘Plan B’
A wake-up call at sea

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The Israeli Navy's takeover of a flotilla of the Mavi Marmara aid ship headed to the Gaza Strip on May 31st left nine activists dead.

Aboard the Mavi Marmara, the commandos first responded to the violence with crowd dispersion measures, and after almost an hour of scuffles, during which a number of soldiers were wounded - some of them stabbed or shot - the commandos were given permission to use live fire.

At one point, activists succeeded in stealing a handgun from one of the soldiers, leading to an escalation in violence.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town