Olmert pleads 'not guilty' to charges

Olmert pleads not guilt

By DAN IZENBERG
December 21, 2009 12:08
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Former prime minister Ehud Olmert and his longtime aide, Shula Zaken, pleaded not guilty to all the charges included in the indictment against them during a hearing in Jerusalem District Court on Monday. Presiding Judge Moussia Arad ordered the lawyers - attorneys Eli Zohar and Nevot Tel-Tzur for Olmert and Micha Fetman for Zaken - to file their written replies to the indictment by January 4. Tel-Tzur told reporters after the hearing, "The bottom line is that the defendants made a sweeping rejection of all the charges against them. The burden of proof lies heavily on the shoulders of the state. I don't believe it will succeed in meeting it." Zohar asked the court for more time to reply to the charges regarding the Rishon Tours affair since the lawyer hired to handle that issue, Yehuda Weinstein, had in the meanwhile been chosen to succeed Attorney-General Menahem Mazuz and therefore resigned from the case. Zohar said he was having trouble finding a replacement because the amount of material was massive and whoever took up the case would have little time to prepare it. The court agreed that the Rishon Tours case would be heard last. The hearing of witnesses in the trial is to begin on February 22. Until then, the prosecution and defense must try to reach agreement on what elements of the investigation material will be contested in court. Arad urged them to meet during the next three weeks to winnow out as much as possible of the evidence that is not disputed. The parties are due to convene once more on January 14, to try to resolve - with the help of the court - any outstanding disagreements. However, it emerged during the hearing that the prosecution and defense had not met so far and that the process had not yet begun. Each side accused the other of responsibility for failing to begin the negotiations. Olmert and Zaken both face charges for their alleged roles in the three main affairs, Rishon Tours, Talansky and the Investment Center for Small- and Medium-Sized Businesses. Olmert also faces charges of committing fraud with regard to the state comptroller, while Zaken is charged with eavesdropping on Olmert's phone conversations.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN