Package bomb prompts nat’l mail freeze

Woman's suspicions are raised upon receiving package in Migdal Haemek.

February 23, 2010 03:48
1 minute read.
Package bomb prompts nat’l mail freeze

letters pink 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

National police headquarters in Jerusalem issued an order to cease mail delivery throughout Israel on Monday, following the discovery of what is believed to have been an explosive package at a post office in the northern city of Migdal Ha’emek.

A strict gag order has been placed on nearly all details of the case, but police said Monday that citizens are advised to exercise great caution when receiving any mail throughout the day.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

A police spokesperson told The Jerusalem Post Monday that a woman received a package from a Migdal Ha’emek post office and upon opening it saw something that raised her suspicions.

Manasa Safir, 41, told Ma’ariv that she “still can’t really digest what happened,” adding that she is quite certain she won’t sleep soundly in the coming days.

After police were notified, the area was closed to traffic and passersby and police sappers neutralized the package. The spokesman said the issue of whether or not the package, which was sent from inside Israel, actually contained an explosive device is still under the gag order.

The spokesman also said police are still trying to determine whether the incident constitutes an act of terrorism.

In a related incident, a suspicious object was discovered in a post office in a Beersheba mall. Police sappers rushed to the scene, and the entire complex was evacuated. However, the object turned out to be harmless.

Police issued a statement Monday afternoon instructing the public on how to spot a suspicious package. Signs to look out for include an unknown identity or address of the sender on the package, a disproportionately heavy weight for the package’s size or suspicious features, such as wires or a mechanical devices.

The statement instructed the public not to open suspicious packages under any circumstances, and to contact police immediately.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town