Police, Shin Bet irked over mosque-arson suspects release

“We wouldn’t have arrested them if there was not real suspicions against them,” security source tells ‘Post’.

February 1, 2010 00:25
1 minute read.
Yassuf mosque book burning

yasuf mosque book 190.114. (photo credit: B'Tselem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Two men arrested in January in connection with a December 11 arson attack on a West Bank mosque were released to 60 days house arrest by the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court on Sunday.

Zvi Succot and Shlomo Gilbert, both aged 20, have been forbidden by the court from contacting others, and a no-exit travel ban has been imposed on them.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Last week, efforts by Judea and Samaria police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) to extend the custody of Rabbi Yitzhak Shapira, head of the Od Yosef Chai Yeshiva in the Yitzhar settlement near Nablus, who was arrested over suspicions that he was linked to the attack, proved ineffective, when the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court freed him, and the Jerusalem District Court rejected an appeal by police against the ruling.

The Magistrate’s Court ruled there was insufficient evidence to hold Shapira.

Three minors from Yitzhar also arrested last month in connection with the attack have been released to house arrest, meaning that none of the six suspects arrested by the security forces in connection with the attack remain in custody.

On the record, the security forces will not criticize the courts’ decisions. But privately, they remain convinced that the arrests were justified.

The five suspects under house arrest will remain the focus of the investigation.


“We wouldn’t have arrested them if there was not real suspicions against them,” one security source told The Jerusalem Post. “We don’t arrest people for no reason.”

Dozens of police officers and Shin Bet agents raided Yitzhar early on January 18, and seized items described as “cold weapons,” such as road spikes, from the yeshiva.

The arrests came a month after a mosque in the West Bank village of Yasuf was set alight. The arsonists left behind Hebrew graffiti and mentioned the “price tag” policy employed by far-right activists, which involves attacking Palestinians and damaging their property in response to the demolition of illegal settlement outposts by the IDF and police.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town