Police arrest three in attack on soldier

Beduin 20-year-old beaten unconscious after taking Jewish girl home.

March 12, 2006 08:41
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Three people were arrested by Israel Police on Sunday morning in connection with the brutal attack on Friday night that left 20-year-old Beduin soldier Cpl. Jalal Tawili fighting for his life in a Haifa hospital. The three, a 17-year-old Kiryat Motzkin resident, an 18-year-old resident of Kiryat Yam and a resident of Kiryat Haim, 26, reportedly attacked Tawili after he and his brother Hamoudi, accompanied a Jewish girl with whom the two had socialized, back to her Kiryat Yam house. On the way back, the two brothers, residents of the Western Galilee village of Tamra, were attacked by local Jewish youths, apparently because they disapproved with the fact that the two were acquaintances of the girl. Tawili was struck in the head by a concrete block thrown from close range. Hamoudi Tawili said that the attackers "hit him in the head with a block - a big piece of rock. He lay on the ground, and even then, they continued to beat him and curse him." "They hit him with an iron chain, they hit me too. Only when we laid there as if we were dead they left. They thought we were dead," he said. "People who would do this aren't human." Tawili was still hospitalized at Haifa's Rambam Medical Center in serious but stable condition on Sunday morning, after undergoing brain surgery on Saturday. "My brother serves in the IDF to protect Israelis, and then people do this to him when he's on leave," said Hamoudi Tawili on Sunday morning.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town