Police cite failure in Betar-Sakhnin brawl

Report said that not all the necessary operational actions were taken to prevent the violence.

By YIGAL GRAYEFF
February 5, 2006 01:23
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An internal police report into the violence between supporters of Bnei Sakhnin and Betar Jerusalem during their soccer match last month has admitted the police made a number of mistakes. "The central failure that caused the creation of what was defined as the 'domino effect' was actually after the end of the game, with the non-deployment of the police outside the ground to prevent Sakhnin supporters hurling stones at Betar Jerusalem fans," the report said. The report added that not all the necessary operational actions were taken to prevent the violence. Police Insp.-Gen. Moshe Karadi set up the inquiry after fighting broke out between both teams' supporters and police after the final whistle at the Doha Stadium in Sakhnin. Betar supporters were allowed onto the pitch after Sakhnin's fans threw stones at them, but the Jerusalemites then vandalized the stadium. At the time, police were criticized for allowing Sakhnin fans to leave the ground before those of Betar. Deputy Commander Ezra Aharon carried out the investigation and handed it to Karadi last week. Aharon placed direct responsibility for the events on two officers, the commander of match-day police and head of the Galil region, Danny Hadad, and the commander of the outside forces and head of Shfaram police station, Yoram Daniely. Aharon recommended that both receive a note in their respective files but didn't appear to propose further disciplinary action. However, Aharon also said that the decision to move Betar fans onto the pitch was correct and may even have saved lives. To prevent hooliganism from occurring again, Aharon's main recommendation was to create a "unified operational model" based on past experience, the police said, adding that Karadi has adopted the proposals of the report. Following a hearing three days after the match, the Israel Football Association fined Sakhnin NIS 50,000 and Betar NIS 75,000, and ordered the Arab team to play four games without fans in attendance.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN