Silvan Shalom: Palestinians using freeze as excuse

Vice Premier claims if PA leaves talks it's clear the freeze is excuse, reiterates W.Bank moratorium was wrong in the first place.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 27, 2010 14:17
1 minute read.
Silvan Shalom.

Silvan Shalom 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Vice Premier and Regional Development Minister Silvan Shalom said Monday "if the Palestinians leave the talks, it will be clear that it is just an excuse.

Appearing in Hebron Monday afternoon, Shalom reiterated his earlier statements that the decision not to continue the freeze was right and that the decision to implement the freeze was wrong.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Abed Rabbo: If building continues, talks will be suspended
Danon to Obama: Respect right to live in sovereign Israel
Viewpoint: The Holyland Union Dream

He went on to say that a settlement freeze is part of a final status issue talks which are not part of the discussion yet.

"No demand like this was ever presented to any prime minister in the past, and it did not disrupt negotiations."

Chief Palestinian Negotiator Yasser Abed Rabbo claimed earlier that a continuation of  building in the settlements will lead to a suspension in direct negotiations and the whole political process, Israel Radio reported.

"An end to construction is needed so that the peace process can progress," Abed Rabbo said during a interview with Palestinian Voice Radio.

Israel’s 10-month moratorium on new construction in the West Bank settlements expired overnight Sunday.



Bulldozers in Ariel began operating Monday morning in the West Bank settlement of Ariel on a new neighborhood that will house families that were evacuated from the Gaza Strip during the 2005 disengagement.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN