Vilnai: No innocents were hurt

Deputy Defense Minister commends Shayetet 13; heckling Arab MKs removed.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 2, 2010 15:20
1 minute read.
Ashkenazi-Barak2010

Ashkenazi-Barak2010 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

All of the nine activists killed in Monday's IDF raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla were involved in violent clashes, Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilna'i said on Wednesday.

Speaking at the Knesset, Vilna'i said that the elite Navy commando were "unique in the world."
"While their friends are being lynched," he said, the Shayetet 13 soldiers were "calling on each other to hold fire."

RELATED:
IDF: Flotilla supplies unecessary
Israelis protest Turkey, flotilla


Throughout Vilnai's speech he was heckled by Arab MKs, as well as Right-wing ones, and finally six of them were removed from the room, only to be allowed to return shortly after. Rioght-wing MKs were heckling as well, and one of them was removed.

Earlier Wednesday
Defense Minister Ehud Barak told the commando unit the government was thankful to Shayetet 13 for its efforts in the Navy raid.

"I have come on behalf of the Israeli government to thank you," he said.

Barak also noted that the elite unit had been placed in a very difficult situation during the Monday operation.


"We are not in Western Europe: here there is no reward for the weak, there is no second chance for those who do not know how to defend themselves."


Accompanying the defense minister was IDF Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, who came to review the procedures and the exact details of Monday's raid.

Barak: 'You did what you were supposed to do'

The defense minister went on to reiterate the government's position on the commando unit's action, telling them that they "did exactly what [they] were supposed to do."

Barak and Ashkenazi then discussed with the unit the exact time-line and procedures of the mission, from the moment they began compiling intelligence to the operation's execution.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN

Cookie Settings