Eliezer Ayalon – From hell to aliya

April 12, 2010 21:39
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Eliezer (Lazer) Ayalon was born in Radom, Poland, in 1928. His parents, Rebecca-Leah and Israel Herszenfis, were observant Jews and Zionists. In the 1930s, the family tried to get immigrant visas to Mandatory Palestine, but failed.

In April 1941, Ayalon and his family were incarcerated in the Radom ghetto. Ayalon lied about his age and was given work and residence in a German clothing warehouse outside the ghetto. He used to sing at work, and his employers liked his singing so much that he was asked to sing on their birthdays in exchange for sweets.

In August 1942, the ghetto was sealed. Though anyone with a work permit could have left, Ayalon refused to part from his family. His family members spent two whole hours begging him to save himself. Finally his mother said, “If there is anyone in the family with a chance to stay alive, it’s you. Azoy ist beshert [This was meant to be]. May you have a sweet life.”

She accompanied him to the gate with a cup of honey. Ayalon was transferred to the Blizyn camp near Kielce, where he worked as a shoemaker. His mother, father, sister and two brothers were all murdered at Treblinka.

In the spring of 1944, Ayalon was moved to Plaszow, and then to Mauthausen and Melk in Austria. In April 1945 he was sent on a death march. Despite a previously broken leg, he made it to Ebensee. On May 6, 1945, the camp was liberated by American forces.

“Soldiers from the Jewish Brigade took us from hell and prepared us for aliya,” says Ayalon. “I remember the joy, the dancing and the singing when we heard we had received visas for Eretz Yisrael.”

Six months later, Eliezer arrived in Israel as part of a youth aliya group and joined an agricultural school. During the War of Independence, he fought in the Etzioni Brigade until his discharge from the IDF in 1949.

“For 37 years I didn’t tell anybody what had happened to me; and then I understood that it was my duty,” he says. “I became a witness.”

In recent decades, Ayalon has begun speaking about his experiences at schools and army bases. He receives invitations to address Jewish communities in the US and has traveled to Poland dozens of times with members of his own family and as a guide and witness for numerous delegations. His memoirs, A Cup of Honey, were published in Israel, the US, Mexico and Costa Rica.

Ayalon married Rebecca, and the couple has a son, a daughter, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery


Cookie Settings