‘Goldstone can attend grandson’s bar mitzva'

Goldstone: “I am delighted that I will attend the bar mitzva of my grandson."

By HAVIV RETTIG GUR
April 26, 2010 10:16
1 minute read.
Judge Richard Goldstone

Judge Richard Goldstone. (photo credit: courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Richard Goldstone, the South African former judge who presided over the UN Human Rights Council investigation of last year’s Operation Cast Lead, will attend his grandson’s bar mitzva at the Sandton Synagogue in Johannesburg next week without facing protests outside the event, the South African Jewish community’s umbrella organization announced on Sunday.

Following a meeting of community leaders on Friday, the SA Jewish Board of Deputies said that an agreement was reached according to which no protests would mar the bar mitzva ceremony, but that Goldstone himself would attend a community gathering in which complaints about his controversial report would be aired and he would be given an opportunity to respond.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


No date has been set for the meeting, but it will happen “shortly after” the bar mitzva, according to Board of Deputies national director Wendy Kahn.

“The community is very upset about the Goldstone Report,” she explained. “They thought it was unfair, biased and deeply flawed. And several community leaders have come out against it, mentioning specific issues with it.”


Community members who felt “very aggrieved” wanted to stage a protest against it outside the bar mitzva ceremony, leading the family to ask the 71-year-old jurist not to come, in an effort to prevent the protests.

But in the wake of the discussions among community leaders and with Goldstone himself, the Board of Deputies issued a statement on Sunday asking that “all parties immediately desist [from] all public activities on this matter so that the young man’s bar mitzva celebration can be returned to the privacy and dignity that it deserves.”

“I am delighted that I will attend the bar mitzva of my grandson,” Goldstone said following the agreement, according to the Board of Deputies.

The report, published in September by the commission he headed, accused the IDF of intentionally committing war crimes during clashes with Hamas aimed at stopping the firing of rockets at Israel. The report also accused Hamas of crimes, but was widely endorsed by the Arab world for its sweeping and damning conclusions about the IDF’s conduct. In Israel, the report drew widespread criticism and anger.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF