Third most-wanted Nazi suspect dies before trial

It's "incredibly frustrating" that Samuel Kunz died before trial, says Wiesenthal Center's Efraim Zuroff.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS, JPOST.COM STAFF
November 22, 2010 13:52
1 minute read.
Dr. Ephraim Zuroff

Dr. Ephraim Zuroff311. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A court in Germany says the world’s third most-wanted Nazi suspect has died before he could be brought to trial.

Bonn’s state court said in a statement Monday that 89- year-old Samuel Kunz died November 18.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Court rejects bid to ban testimony in Demjanjuk trial
In the name of the mother: Ashes go to Treblinka

Kunz was indicted on charges he was involved in the entire process of killing Jews at the Belzec death camp: from taking victims from trains to pushing them into gas chambers to throwing corpses into mass graves.

No trial date had been set.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center issued a statement in response to the news on Monday afternoon. Efraim Zuroff, the center’s director in Israel, said it was “incredibly frustrating” that Kunz died before trial.

“The fact that Samuel Kunz lived in Germany unprosecuted for so many decades is the result of a flawed prosecution policy which ignored virtually any Holocaust perpetrator who was not an officer.



It was only the recent, long-awaited change in this policy which led to Kunz’s indictment and the opportunity to hold him accountable for his crimes.

“We urge the German authorities to expedite all such cases, given the advanced age of the suspects, so that a measure of justice can still be achieved,” he said.

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF