10) Potential defendants can be held in jail for up to 15 days prior to arrest
for the purposes of investigative detention.
9) Israeli prosecutors with
a child under the age of eight are permitted to work one hour less a
day.8) Israeli prosecutors get 40 days’ vacation per year plus
additional days for rejuvenation.
7) Israeli prosecutors are granted
tenure after five years of employment.
6) When on trial, defendants who
are in custody sit in a box behind Plexiglas, away from their attorney.
Defendants who are not in custody sit behind their attorney, not at counsel
5) Defendants must reveal their notice of alibi at the time of
their first appearance or be barred from using alibi defense absent permission
from a judge.
4) During trial, Israeli prosecutors may comment on
defendant’s post-arrest silence and defendant’s election not to
3) Israeli prosecutors get paid overtime: up to 50 hours/month
without approval; over 50 hours/month with approval of a
Bonus: prosecutors can earn overtime even if working from
2) Israeli prosecutors can dress down in the office, in
magistrate’s court. Plus, they get clothing allowance.
prosecutors can appeal acquittals and lenient sentences.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>