people of the year 298 .
(photo credit: )
...was indeed a tumultuous year. A year that will no doubt find its path into the history books. The events that took place this past year - Sharon's illness, elections, the rise of Hamas and the war in Lebanon to name a few - will have an impact for many years to come.
To read Amotz Asa-El's year in review, click here
Which individuals - Jewish or Israeli - made their mark on 5766? Who do you think stood out from the crowd? To respond, please use the talkback icon above.
Here is who The Jerusalem Post
selected in the following categories:
Gilad Shalit, Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev
- Still awaiting word
- True IDF hero who saved his soldiers' lives by throwing hismelf on a grenade
- The war forced Israeli generosity into the spotlight, and it responded
Prof. Shaul M. Shasha
- Hospital director's vision saved lives
- Stepped up when the government was no where to be seen
- Madam Chief Justice
- The new queen of public relations
- First female Knesset Speaker in Israel's history
- It's safe to say that at this time last year few people outside Israel or the Jewish world had ever heard of Tzipi Livni.
- The savior of the seniors
- Housing and Construction Ministry director eased hardship of Gaza evacuees
- Manufacturing Mideast peace with a $4 billion price tag
- Nobel Prize winner in economics
- Led the University of Maryland to the NCAA title