Submissions for FYI should be typed or written clearly in English and
include the name of the sponsoring organization, event type, date,
time, location, cost, and a contact telephone number.
Deadline for all FYI items and promotional materials – including photos
– is 8 p.m. Thursday, the week before (eight days before the item
is expected to appear in FYI).
Please update details for all Ongoing Activities. E-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Metro can no longer accept faxed submissions.SHARON/NETANYA
• July 11-14: Japanese Ink Painting Classes. A beginner’s introduction to Japanese ink painting and calligraphy. Instructor:Talia Lehavi. Mon- Thurs 9 a.m. - noon. Wilfrid Museum for Asian Art -Hazorea. To register: (04) 989-9566; 052- 399-0566
• July 25-28: Advanced Japanese painting workshop, “The Lotus and the Water Lily.” Wilfrid Museum for Asian Art -Hazorea. To register: (04) 989-9566; 052- 399-0566
Unless otherwise noted, AACI Netanya events take place at 28 Shmuel Hanatziv St., Netanya. Details and/or reservations (09) 833-0950, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• June 19: AACI "Coffee and…Kidney Donor” With Marcia Rapp. Members NIS 10; non-members NIS 15. At 10:30 a.m.
• June 20: Volunteer program. 4 – 6 p.m.
• June 22: Conference of the International Institute for the Secret Jews (Anusim) Studies “The Worldwide Awakening of the Descendants of the Secret Jews (Anusim)” at Netanya Academic College, Tshuva Hall. Full day program of lectures, lunch and refreshments 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Pre-registration and pre-payment of NIS 100 at Netanya AACI Box Office essential. (09) 833-0950. Transport to the college by regular sherut (Shai-li #22) is NIS 5.50 each way.
• June 23: Teachers without Borders • June 30: Storytelling with Teddy. Members NIS 10; nonmembers NIS 15.
AACI Ongoing Events
• Sunday: Exercises for women with Orly Sasson. 8:45-9:30 a.m.
• Sunday afternoon Hebrew Literature class (call for details)
• Monday: Art with Gypsy Ron. 9.30-12 noon
• Monday: Hebrew Conversation with Atara Hadad. 9.30 a.m.-12.30 p.m.
• Monday: Conditioning Exercises for Women with Irene Burg. 6:15 -7:15 p.m.
• Monday & Thursday: 12-1 p.m. Municipal Affairs at 2 Solomon St. (Moshe Shamir)
• Tuesday: Art with Gypsy Ron. 9:30-12 noon
• Tuesday : Meet the Lawyer. 9:30-11:30 a.m.
• Tuesday: Translations of documents and reports. 9:30-11:30 a.m.
• Wednesday: Netanya Philatelic Association 2-4 p.m.
• Wednesday: Diet, Healthy Eating & Living Group 9-10 a.m.
• Wednesday: Travel Day with Sharon Bergman 9 a.m. -12 noon • Thursday: Caregivers Support Group. 10-11 a.m.
• ESRA provides regular updates about its events, support groups, volunteering and activities. Let us keep you up-to-date. E-mail Ingrid at email@example.com, with your name and e-mail address.
• ESRA’s professionally trained counselors offer confidential help with loss, transitions and life challenges. One-to-one/telephone/ group support. Counseling is free and is open to all. Contact Susan: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or 052-698- 9088; ESRA office (09) 748-2957.
• June 19: ESRA Kfar Saba OPEN HOUSE welcomes Dr Norma Franklin from the Institute of Archaeology, Tel Aviv University, who will talk on “The Crowfoot Women.” Their story starts before WW I in England and goes to the Sudan, Jerusalem, Samaria and back to England. At 10 a.m. in the miklat at 11 Nachshon St, Kfar Saba. NIS 15. Refreshments. Info: Jean (09)766-9223
• June 22: ESRA invites you to be in the know: “Your Guide to Using Facebook.” Take a virtual tour under the guidance of Kelli Brown, owner, expert and lead consultant at Pixel/Point Press, of how to use Facebook. At 7 p.m. at Yad Lebanim, Ra’anana. NIS 50; ESRAcards; NIS 40. To reserve: (09) 748-2957 • July 5: ESRA Ra’anana hosts a panel of representatives of some essential nonprofit organizations in Israel "Helping Hands." Moderator, Lawrence Bertfield. Panel: Sharon Levin from Pa'amonim; Natalie Marx from Leket Israel (Table to Table); Dvora Baruch from Yad Sarah. At 10 a.m. in Beit Fisher, 5 Klausner Street, Ra’anana. NIS 35; ESRA members NIS 30. Please register in advance: ESRA office (09) 748-2957.
• ESRAvision – The TV program for English speakers in Israel: This month’s magazine: Israel’s First Arab Woman Plastic Surgeon; Agricultural Technology in Israel; The Daniel Rowing Centre Gvahim – helping immigrants realize their professional aspirations; Sentimental Journey – Guild Theatre performance; Your Health Matters: Allergies – Spring. Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m. and Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Find us on HOT and YES digital channels 98 (or HOT analog 25) and on METV alternate Thursdays at 3 p.m. You can also see selected items on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/E sravision • ESRA’s Adult ADD/ADHD support group can help inform, teach and coach adults with symptoms of the disorder. Contact us at: ESRA.Adult.ADHD.Group@gmail .com or go to https://sites.google.com/
• ESRA’s Secondhand English Bookshop in Ra’anana has 1000s of English books in every category & a huge selection of kids’ books from tots to teens (suitable for school libraries), all at give-away prices. Suitable for bookclubs to take on sale/return. Book tokens. Open every day incl Friday 9:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. 5 Rehov Klausner (corner Ahuza/Café Aroma), Ra’anana. Office (Sun-Thurs) (09) 748- 0541.
• We are urgently looking for men and women to befriend housebound and lonely people in the Netanya, Ra’anana and Herzliya. Call Glenis (054) 773- 4392 or e-mail email@example.com
• ESRA pre-schoolers Parents Group, led by child psychologist Dr. Ornit Freudenstein, where parents can share their experience and concerns about parenting pre-school children. Mondays 8 p.m. To register call Judy, (09) 748-2957, mornings only.
• ESRA folk dancing and line dancing on Thursday mornings at Beit Fisher, 5 Rehov Klausner, Ra’anana. 10-11:30 a.m. Beginners and Intermediate with Roni. ESRAcards: NIS 30; others NIS 35. (09) 748-2957.
• ESRA Duplicate Bridge Club meets at 8 p.m. every Monday in Ra’anana at Beit Fisher, 5 Klausner St. Info: Michael Belkin, 052-240-1383. NIS 25 per session.
• Volunteers required in Ramat Hasharon – English for Schools, where English speakers chat to high-school pupils in preparation for their exams. Ingrid (09) 950-8371.
• Volunteers required in Herzliya – English for Schools. English speakers chat to high-school pupils in preparation for their exams. Marise (09) 957-1170 • ESRA’s Community Cookbooks, Table Manna, Soups & Salads and Meatless Meals are on sale. NIS 50 plus postage. (09) 749-2957 or (09) 950- 8371.
• An online Internet group is starting to bring non-Hebrew speakers together to help new olim adjust to life in Israel through networking, advice and having someone listen. It is also an effort to join all non-Hebrew speakers into one forum. People interested in really helping one another, e-mail NHS4BIsrael@yahoogroups.com.
• If you are Jewish and don’t have any problems proving you are Jewish but are having problems with the Interior Ministry not accepting official documents from your host country, contact us at NHS4BIsrael@yahoogroups.com.
• Jazz Appreciation Society. Informal social group meets in homes in Sharon area.... Talks, listening to music, some eating and drinking. Visits to jazz venues in and around Tel Aviv. Michael 0523-260-537
• The Conservative Movement will help establish a shul in Rishon West if at least a dozen people show interest in this project. Contact judithnusbaum@ gmail.com to learn more.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon, for people and family members living with illness (Beit Yad Sarah – Ra’anana). Mondays: Guided imagery 11 a.m.-12:15; Expressive Art 12:15-1:30. Wednesday: Gigong 1:15 -2:15 p.m. Advance registration required. Info: www.tishkofet.co.il or Sharon 054 665-6005.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon: Photography with Sarah Raanan (in English) – “Explore the beauty of life” in this 5-session workshop. Wednesday mornings from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon: Volunteer training program (in English) on June 12 at 9:30 a.m. to noon. Venue in Ra’anana to be arranged. Sessions will be run by a staff of professionals. Life’s Door – Tishkofet (a non-profit organization) has changed the way thousands of people have experienced the journey of illness. Through our unique programs, patients, family members and professionals have learned the skills to see opportunities for growth and greater fulfillment in life. Advance registration required. Info: Anna Whitefield: 052 608-9601. www.tishkofet.co.il
• Bet Israel Masorti Congregation: 19 Yehuda Hanassi St. , Netanya: Religious Services Daily & Shabbat Shacharit 8 a.m. Friday evening Service begins 10 minutes after candle-lighting in Netanya (wintertime) and at 6 p.m. during summertime. Office: (09) 862- 4345 Sun.-Thu. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Monday at Bet Israel, 19 Yehuda Hanassi, Netanya: Duplicate Bridge, 9:15 a.m. and on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. NIS 25 incl. refreshments. Info: Judy (052-833-0488).
• Sunday and Thursday at Bet Israel: Israeli Folk-dancing at 8 p.m., with Israel Amrani, in airconditioned hall. Incl. refreshments NIS 25. Tel: (09) 862- 4345.
• Wednesday: Bet Israel, 19 Yehuda Hanassi, Netanya: Women only Israeli folk dancing at 9 a.m., with Hagar Leventhal, in air-conditioned hall. Incl. refreshments NIS 25. (09) 862- 4345.
• Sunday to Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Henry Koor Library General Judaica Collection. Also English Torah tapes, plus video and music tapes all available on loan. Public invited. New Synagogue, 7 MacDonald St., Netanya.
• Sunday 8 p.m., Thursday 7:30 p.m. Beit Israel. Israeli dancing, including refreshments. NIS 25. Sara (09) 862-4345.
• Sun 9–11 a.m.; Mon 10 a.m.- 12 noon; Tues 2-4 p.m.; Wed 10 a.m.-12 noon; Thurs 10 a.m.-12 noon. English Speaking Municipal Volunteer Group at 4 Stampfer Street, 1st floor. Call first to check if there is a volunteer present.
• Monday She’arim Noon Concert. 11, Kikar Atzmaut Passage, next to Bank Hapoalim, first floor. NIS 25. Doors open 11 a.m. (884-0534).
• Monday. New Synagogue 7:30 a.m. Parshat Hashavua in English given by Dr. Yaakov Ulando.
• Monday 7 p.m. Natan-ya Congregation Bible Class with Jordan Helfman. NIS.15. (077- 422-5272; 054-998-0032)
• Monday 9:15 a.m. & Thursday, 9:30 a.m. Hadassah Hadar & Beit Israel. Duplicate Bridge at Beit Israel. NIS 25. Refreshments (Judy, 052-833-0488).
• Monday & Wednesday. 10 a.m. Laniado Ten Pin Bowling at the New Netanya Industrial Estate. Details Edith, (09) 861- 6187.
• Tuesday. New Synagogue. Weekly study with Rabbi Katz. Details Felix (09) 862-2765.
• Wednesday 9 a.m. Bet Israel Women Only Israeli Folk-dancing with Hagar Leventhal in airconditioned Hall, incl. refreshments. NIS 25. 862-4345 Self-Help
• Alcoholics Anonymous English meeting in Ra’anana. Info: For Johnny 054-931-8427
• Alanon/Naranon meetings for relatives and friends of alcholics and substance abusers. In Ra’anana Tuesday evenings at 7:30. Info: (052) 614-9035 or (09) 746-2008.
• Alanon/Naranon meetings for relatives and friends of alcoholics and substance abusers. In Netanya Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m. Info: (052) 479-8285 or (09) 832-1574.
• Ra’anana: Overeaters Anonymous meetings in English. Monday mornings, 10:30-11:30, Rehov Har Sinai. For specific address details: Allyson (052) 655-9076.
• Alzheimer’s English speakers support group meets every month. Info: Paula 077-324- 0639.
• Services at Kehilat Yonaton, a Reform synagogue in Hod Hasharon. Designed for children ages 3-10 and their families with Shabbat songs, Torah story and prayers, followed by a kiddush. Last Friday of each month 6 p.m. 1, Rehov Aliyat Hanoar, campus of Mosenson High School, Hod Hasharon. Details: 052-446- 2112 or (09) 746-3447.
• American C&W Line Dancing – Step-In Line™. Absolute Beginners 8-8:30 p.m. Learn basic steps and very easy dances. Continuing with Beginners & Advanced, learning new dances 8:30-9:30 p.m. (approx). Everyone dancing old favorites 9:30-10 p.m. NIS 30, payable on entrance. Kfar Vitkin, 10 mins. north of Netanya. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org , 052-545-7713
• The “Hebrew Order of David International” is recruiting Jewish gentlemen. We have Lodges in Ra’anana, Netanya and Jerusalem. If you like friendship, fellowship, social activities, formal meetings and charitable work, we want you! Michael: (09) 749-3293 or 050-594-6121 (not Shabbat).
• Kehilat Torat Hayim: The Masorti (Conservative) Congregation of Herzliya. www.torat-hayyim.org.il. Spiritual leader: Rav Ary Glikin. Merkaz Yom la-Kashish, Shammai 8, Herzliya. Friday evening service 6:30 p.m. in summer. Shabbat and holiday services 8:45 a.m. Shabbat morning, after the service, members invite the congregation to kiddush. Weekly newsletter (in English and Hebrew): Hamevasser: www.torathayyim. org.il:80/docs/mevasser.htm. Activities: Preparation for bar and bat mitzva celebrations. Info: Rav Glikin 052-736-6386; special monthly youth Shabbatot; activities for children and youth; special holiday events; active participation on kehila committees; study groups: Mishna: Mondays at 7 p.m. in Bet Yom LeKashish. Alternate Sunday evenings, 8:30 p.m., Pirkei Avot group at the Nof Yam Matnas
• Every Wednesday from 6-8 p.m. – certified instructor Jessica Cohen teaches horses and ponies and their riders show jumping. Shaded picnic tables for visitors, free. 5 Pardes Meshutaf St., Ra’anana. Phone 052-598-7789 www.farm4fun.com
• Mountainbiking Group – Cyclenix – A social biking group that rides every Saturday. Also weekly midweek night rides. All levels of riders welcome. Free. 050-942-2788 or www.cyclenix.com
• Weight Watchers group for English speakers, Wednesday mornings at 9 at the Mishkan, 2 Hapalmah Street, Ra’anana. All discussions and materials in English. Info: Yehudit Levine, 050-647-7395 (after 7 p.m.)
• Anglo business networking group provides a forum for English-speaking businessmen in Israel to discuss and share their problems and air their new ideas. Meets once a month alternately in Tel Aviv and Ra’anana. Info: email@example.com
• www.oddjobs.co.il provides free job postings in English for those seeking odd jobs, and temporary, seasonal, work at home, overseas, and foreignlanguage positions. Submit your postings or answer job leads free of charge.
• The Yad Yaakov center for Jewish education is hosting a lecture series in English: Mondays at 9:30 a.m. – “Shivat Zion in the Eyes of Ezra and Nehemiah” with Rabbi Don Peterman; Wednesdays at 9:15 a.m. – Jeremiah and the Destruction of the Temple, both at 4 Kahan St., Kfar Saba. Fridays at 10 a.m. – “Footsteps through the Bible, discovering the Unfolding Redemptive History of Israel” with Rabbi Leibowitz at Ohel Moshe Synagogue, Herzliya Pituah. Info (09) 745-4126.
• Koleynu Choir meets Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. at Beit Issie Shapiro, Issie Shapiro St. in Ra’anana. Men and women of all ages are welcome to join this mixed voice choir. Repertoire includes popular and traditional Western and Israeli music, vocal jazz, Broadway show tunes, gospel, light classics and more. Reading music is not required, just the ability to sing in tune and match pitches – and a commitment to learning your songs. Info: Sharon 050-314-5255 or Patrick 054-660-7464.
• Klabberjas – Kfar Saba – weekly card game. Michael (09) 749-3293/(050) 594-6121.
• Play in our Texas hold-em poker tournaments. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday at 8 p.m. Info: 054-482-1706
• Coffee and Torah: The study of Tanach and lively discussion on its contemporary relevance, with Rabbi Stewart Weiss, Wednesdays, 8:15-9:45 a.m. at Bread and Breakfast Cafe, Giron Center, Jabotinsky and Ahuza streets, Ra’anana. In English, no prior knowledge necessary. Info: 052-242-8508.
• Ra’anana Masorti (Conservative) Congregation. A friendly synagogue with services Thur at 7 a.m., Fri at 6 p.m., Sat. at 8:30 a.m. bar/bat mitzva, community services and special occasions. 8 Borochov Street, Ra’anana. Info: Colin Marks 054-720-1911.
• YINN Table Tennis Chug. Play on Sun., Wed. afternoons, 2:30-4:30. All welcome • Netanya Congregation Bible Class with Jordan Helfman. Mondays, 7 p.m. NIS 15. (077) 422-5272; 054-998-0032.
• Yad Yaakov center for Jewish studies, weekly Tanach classes: Mon 9:30-11 a.m. “Kings & Prophets” with Rabbi Peterman; Wed 9:15-10:15 a.m. “The Classical Prophets” with Rabbi Leibowitz; Wed 10:30-11:30 a.m. “Kohelet-Wisdom Literature” with Rabbi Leibowitz Ohel Moshe Synagogue, 33 Aryeh Ben-Eliezer St., Herzliya Pituah: (09) 745-4126. Gadi Hamburger gives a weekly shiur in English on interesting points in the weekly sedra. Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Men and women welcome – no fee. Becker Family, Rehov Ahad Ha’am 21/5, Ra’anana. Info: Willie (09) 741-4632 or 052- 852-2029.
• Classes and study groups: Hebrew Reading Class, Sundays 11 a.m. at Beit Israel Masorti Congregation, with Rita Green and Miki Schwartz. Info: (09) 862-4345. • “Prayer and Song” class on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. at Beit Israel Masorti Congregation, with Rabbi Yisraeli. Learn how to lead and participate in prayer services, including the traditional melodies. We are egalitarian, this is for everybody. (09) 862- 4345. Torah Study and Discussion Group (English) on Wednesdays at 9 a.m., with Lenore Levin, at Beit Israel. (09) 862-4345. “Philosophical Issues in the Weekly Parsha” on Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m. With Rabbi Yisraeli (of Congregation Beit Israel, Masorti, Netanya) at his home, 7/2 Ichilov St. ˆnfo: (09) 862-4345.
• Weekly cultural activities: Duplicate Bridge at Beit Israel, Monday and Thursday mornings at 9:30 a.m. NIS 25, incl. refreshments. (09) 862-4345.
• Free English Lending Library on Wednesdays 3-5 p.m. at Beit Israel. Librarian; Shiphra Davis. Info: (09) 862-4345.
• The Henry Koor Judaica Library houses 8,000 books of 800 CDs and cassette tapes of Jewish and general interest in English, and is open 9:30 a.m. – 12 noon, Sundays – Thursdays. 7 Rehov Macdonald, Netanya. Contact: (09) 884-0458. There is also a program of monthly lectures.
AACI Tel Aviv
Events held at AACI offices unless otherwise specified: 94 Rehov Allenby, entrance “aleph,“ mezzanine floor, Tel Aviv. (03) 696-0389 for information and registration. Join AACI Central e-mail program & information update list: e-mail: telaviv@ aaci.org.il with “e-mail list” in the subject heading.
• June 20: AACI & the Israel Stage Orchestra present "The Song of Strings," a romantic, lyrical program including works by Mendelssohn, Verdi, Sibelius and Holst, conducted by Talia Ilan. Violin solo Elina Gurevitch; sopranoTania Magrum. Tel Aviv Museum of Art at 8:30 p.m. 27 Shaul Hamelech, Tel Aviv. Members NIS 70; non-members NIS 80. Registration essential: AACI (03) 696-0389 or Telaviv@aaci.org.il
• June 21 & 22: AACI two-day workshop with Hadar Gadol, “It’s All about the Spirit.” Topics will include anger management; identifying stress influences; motivation; guilt & worry; fear; and the high price of perfectionism. Tues & Wed 10a.m. – 1:30 p.m. At 94 Allenby (between Gruzenberg & Montefiore), entrance "Aleph", mezzanine floor,Tel Aviv. Members NIS 90; non-members NIS 100. Registration essential: (03) 696-0389
• July 5: Men and women are invited to join the AACI Tel Aviv Book Club. At this meeting at 11 a.m. in Ramat Aviv, we will discuss Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. RSVP (03) 696- 0389 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• July 7: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ra’anana - Eshkol Payis, 5 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696-0389 or e-mail email@example.com
• July 13: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ramat Aviv - Rozin Auditorium, 7 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696- 0389 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• July 14: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ra’anana - Eshkol Payis, 7 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696-0389 or email email@example.com AACI Seniors
• June 22: Steve Ornstein speaks about his successful website with viewers from over 100 countries: “Israel Seen.” Also Torah commentary by Rita Rimon, and exercise. NIS 15. At 10 a.m. at Beit Tami, Shenkin St. in Shenkin Park (2nd block from Allenby). Info: (03) 696- 0389 .
• June 21: Voices Israel presents a workshop with Canadian poet Prof. Seymour Mayne of the University of Ottawa, the 2010 Reuben Rose competition judge. At 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Seminar Room, Gilman Building, Tel Aviv University. Voices members NIS 30; nonmembers NIS 50. Please register by calling (04) 837-6820 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
• June 23: If you are an Ivy League, Stanford, Cambridge or Oxford graduate, join the Penn Israel Regatta – Ivy League Yacht Race and Dinner beginning at 5 p.m. We will sail until sunset, followed by dinner at the SeaGal Yacht Club, Herzliya Marina. No experience required, as each yacht will have a professional skipper and some training will be given. For a more leisurely sunset cruise, there is limited space on an observer boat with hammock-style deck and living room seating in the cabin and back deck. To reserve spots on the leisure/observer boat, contact Carmel Gerber email@example.com Or join us just for the kosher dinner. At 10 p.m. there will be a young alumni evening with cash bar open til midnight at the SeaGal Club. Contact for the event: AlexLevite@gmail.com or visit www.pennclubofisrael.ning.com
• July 6: TACT Tap Dancing Workshop led by Oran Aviv begins July 6 . Beit Yad Lebanim, Pinkas 63, Tel Aviv. NIS 140 for 4 sessions. Payment in advance at first session. For further information and registration, call Glenda 052-525-8812.Ongoing Events
• Free Torah study group with Rabbi Aharon Levin for men and women. Subject: Jewish philosophy and law. Refreshments. Sponsored by Ahvah, Aish Hatorah. Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. Devorah Hotel, 2nd floor, 87 Ben-Yehuda corner Gordon St., Tel Aviv. Info: Esther Rubinstein, 052-738-9447 or Betty (03) 523-1831.
• The Los Amigos choir of Latin American music is recruiting new members (bass and tenor voices). On Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in Ness Ziona. Call Leah: 054-465-6182 • Lod Community Foundation is looking for volunteer teachers for its English teaching project, “Yes We Can!” to teach both children and adults. If you can help, or know anyone who may be interested, contact: Ofra Savaldi (08) 927-0723 or 054- 793-2518 o.savaldi@lodfoundation. org www.lodfoundation.org
• Public speaking and storytelling for everyone at the Oppenheimer English Storytelling Center in Tel Aviv on the first Friday morning of every month. Contact Dvora Shurman at 054-766-5019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Voices Israel Group of Poets in English meets once a month. Bring your own poems for discussion. See monthly newsletter for details of workshops, submissions to annual anthology and Reuben Rose International Competition. Contact: Mark Levinson (09) 955-5720
• The Educational Center for Games in Israel. Heritage Centre of Play. 32 Hatavor St. Tel Aviv. (near Nachlat Binyamin Mall). Play is not only for children. Lost Property: Mostly jackets. Please claim them. Visits to the center are by prior request. We continue with archiving our collections. If you would like to join in, give us a call, also to discuss which of our seminars and workshops are best for you. Contact email@example.com or 054-471-7314
• Ichud Olam Minyan invites you to a new lecture series every Wednesday evening at 8 p.m. Rabbi Nachman's Stories as an introduction to Hassidut, in English; 9 p.m.: Rambam’s Rationalist Thinking, in Hebrew, by Rabbi Dr. Raphael Shuchat of Bar-Ilan University. Pizza served. Ichud Shivat Zion Synagogue, 86 Rehov Ben-Yehuda, Tel Aviv.
• Calling women of all ages, with or without experience: An American flag football team for women is being organized to play in the Sportech every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Free of charge. Call Esti at (054) 737- 4841 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Home singing circle in central Tel Aviv, to meet once weekly. Male and female singers welcomed. Repertoire: classical – including Israeli. Please state note-reading ability and preferred weekday evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Email: email@example.com
• TACT (Tel Aviv Community Theatre) – Want to act in English? Help backstage? Smell the greasepaint? Hear the applause? TACT is the group for you. Oldest established Englishspeaking community theater in Tel Aviv welcomes new members. www.tact-theatre.com or call Glenda, 052-525-8812 or Linda, 052-230-8833.
• ESRA Books ’n’ Chat, first Sunday of the month. Information: Gill, 602-1008.
• ESRA South African-style book club in Tel Aviv, first Monday of month. Info: Gill (03) 732-0194.
• ESRA Short Story Discussion Group, Mondays. NIS 25; ESRAcards NIS 20. Info: Noah (03) 648-5575.
• Tanach (Bible) Study Group, Wednesdays 9:45 a.m. An in-depth study of the Tanach with Rabbi Avraham Fischer of Yad Yaakov. NIS 50; ESRAcards NIS 45. Pre-registration necessary. Noah (03) 648-5575.
• Support group being formed for seniors with/without family in Israel, to discuss and plan for the future. Please contact Valerie at (03) 602-0665 Self-Help
• Alcoholics Anonymous English meetings held daily in Tel Aviv. Details: 054-492-9242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tuesdays 8:30-9:30 a.m. Overeaters Anonymous – weekly English meeting in Tel Aviv. For venue and more information, call Ophelia, 052-427-9502.
• Narcotics Anonymous, English meetings in Tel Aviv & Jerusalem. Hotline: 054- 211- 7452.
• Rediscovering Hunger: Conquering your Negative Body Image and Overcoming Emotional Eating. Offered in Tel Aviv. Info: Nomi 052-858-1028.
• AACI Translation Service: An excellent translation service is available to all AACI members. We offer help with translating bills, driving licenses, telephone applications, Kupat Holim literature, bank communications and many other items. Service not available for medical reports and legal contracts. Mondays: 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Call AACI for an appointment: (03) 696-0389.
• Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Israel) Herzl 159, Tel Aviv-Jaffa. (03) 513- 6500. Healthy cats and dogs available for adoption, daily veterinary service, low-cost spaying. Strays and abandoned animals accepted at no charge. Open daily till 8 p.m., Fridays until 2 p.m., Saturdays 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. www.spca.co.il
• English mother and baby group. Weekly meetings in Petah Tikva. Contact Tammy: 054-303-2063 / e-mail: email@example.com
• TACT play-reading: every Monday at 7:30 p.m. in Beit Ariella. We prepare, read and discuss Shakespeare plays. On alternate Mondays we read other plays. Please call Mike: (03) 641-5878 or Ida: (09) 955- 0089
• Ramle Tissan Airmodel Club: English-speaking airmodeler looks for control-line airmodel enthusiasts to help found a club. Teaching kids and teens how to build and fly C/L, sailplanes, rubber-powered planes is also among greatest goals. Already has support from Ramle City Hall. Please call Eron Silva at (08) 930-1161, ext. 113, or (08) 920-6408 (home), or write firstname.lastname@example.org (preferable)
• Israemploy is a non-profit organization that helps new and veteran immigrants find work in Israel. Almost 2,000 new job postings each month, many of them with a requirement for English at a high level. For more information, please visit us at www.israemploy.net. Nominal fees required of users.
• Anglo business networking group provides a forum for English-speaking businessmen in Israel, both established and new, to discuss and share their problems and air their new business ideas. Meets about once a month alternatively in Tel Aviv and Ra’anana. Details of next meeting: email@example.com
• The Institute for the Advancement of Education in Jaffa seeks volunteers to help Jaffa schoolchildren with English. Volunteers work with groups of 2-3 children aged 10- 12 once a week, for an hour and a half in the mid-afternoon. Materials and on-hand guidance provided, no experience necessary. Marc Schoen, 054-755- 2014, 077-330-6788 (evenings)
• Free Torah lessons in English. Sundays, 8:30 p.m. Hotel Devorah, Ben-Yehuda 87, Tel Aviv. Margalit: (03) 551-6652.
• Play4Elderly meetings at The Educational Center for Games, 32 Hatavor Street, Tel Aviv. (Near Nahlat Binyamin Mall) are part of our Grandparenting Institute. Info: 054-471-7314. (03) 629-4151. firstname.lastname@example.org CENTRAL
• The Rishon Lezion English Speakers Assocation (RESA) holds monthly social meetings; coffee mornings in a coffee shop and excursions to places of interest. Details: (03) 969- 5693.
• English and Spanish conversational classes at Ohel Avraham and Sarah JCC in Rishon Lezion on Mohliver 16 Street. To register call (03) 950-7414 or write to the Sisterhood at SisterhoodOhelAvraham@gmail.com NIS 20 per person, per class.
• Yes, there is a Masorti /Conservative shul and community in Rishon Lezion! Everyone interested in being part of a truly egalitarian community with observance of Jewish traditions invited. Please send us your e-mail address for our mailing list. Kabbalat Shabbat services at 6:30 p.m. (summer hours); Shabbat morning service at 9 a.m. Come and visit or call (03) 950-7414.AACI Southern Branch
• Sundays – “Your Baby Needs Music” – AACI Music Class for babies and children up to age 5. 4-4:45 p.m. “Music Together,” a parent-child class in English for infants, toddlers and preschoolers up to age 5 on Sundays, at 5-5:45 p.m. With Sharon Meisels. All classes will take place at location TBA. Cost per child, full course: NIS 400 members; NIS 450 nonmembers Cost per 2nd child, full course: NIS 375 members; NIS 425 non-members. Accompanying book and CD: NIS 170, cash only. Register at (02) 993-8147 or 054-531- 5990. Send an e-mail to this address: email@example.com To receive more information, e-mail www.musicwithsharon.com
• Technical Writing Course in Beersheba. If you write well in English, are computer literate and enjoy learning and training others, this course is for you. Dates and times to be announced. Cost: NIS 9,000 or NIS 8,000 for AACI members, including those who join upon registration.For more information contact Our Best Words at (02) 656-3369 or (050) 529- 0775 (evenings) or firstname.lastname@example.org Or go to www.technicalwriting.co.il/training/ tech-writing-course/
• Religious singles 60+ Group forming for social and cultural activities. More info (02) 560- 9110 Ongoing Events
• Shabbat services (Fri. 5:30 p.m. winter, 7 p.m. summer, Sat. 9 a.m.) at Adat Shalom Emanuel, 6 Miller Street, Rehovot. We are a Masorti (Egalitarian) congregation with a vibrant bar/bat mitzva program, youth activities program (Noam), a choir, as well as a lecture and discussion series under the direction of our Rabbi Rubin. E-mail: email@example.com, tel/fax (08) 946-9180
• Emotions Anonymous Ashkelon. Osnat (08) 673-1258; Moshe (08) 673-4086.ASHDOD
• The English Speakers’ Club of Ashdod (ESCA) gets together on Fridays at the Zohara Restaurant in the Ashdod Bus Station from noon to 2 p.m. Info: Anita, 054- 465-1327 or Chana (08) 855- 7116.
• The Conservative Synagogue Etz Haim in Ashdod assembles on Fridays for Erev Shabbat services (20 minutes before sundown) and on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. Public Shelter No. 25 on Rehov Yitzhak Hanassi in Ashdod. Info: Refael (08) 864- 2482 or Anita 054-465-1327
• Tai chi chuan and chi kung in the Ashdod area. Exercise for fun, balance, strength, energy. Wednesdays 9 a.m., 7 p.m. Classes in the park in good weather, sheltered area in rainy weather. Susan www.taichisusan.com; 054-237-5512
• Parkinsons Support Group Ashdod (and surrounding areas) meets Wednesdays 4:30-7 at the Bet Avot Ashdod, entrance Harav Nissim 17, next to Ashdod police station. Info: (08) 855-1051. Amutat Parkinson 077-418-1900; English (08) 858-1151.ASHKELON
• English Speakers of Ashkelon monthly craft chug, book club, movie night, play reading group, coffee, cake and conversation meetings and special events. Info: June (08) 673- 2161 or Vicky (08) 673-3742.
• Kehillat Netzach Israel (Masorti/Conservative Congregation) - Services: Fridays at 6:45pm and Saturdays at 9am - Bar/Bat Mitzva courses, Talmud/Torah classes, adult education lectures, NOAM youth group, pre-school daycare center and ongoing cultural activities. Rabbi Michael Even David. Info: (08) 671- 1370/1 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. www.netzach- israel.org.il
• Weekly Tanach Study Group led by Rabbi Moshe Benisti on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Info: 077- 424-6459.
• Emotions Anonymous Ashkelon. Osnat (08) 673-1258 or Moshe (08) 673-4086 BEERSHEBA
• Negev, Eilat, South e-mail list advice, events, what’s on, Eilat, Beersheba, Mitzpe, Arad and Ein Gedi. Festivals, theaters, concerts, find car rides, jobs available, jobs wanted, flat-hunting, business promos. www.groups. yahoo.com/group/NegevEilat.
• Omer, Magen Avraham (Conservative) Congregation: Friday 6:30 p.m.; Saturday 8:30 a.m. Bar/Bat Mitzva courses, adult study, after-school program. Rabbi Gil Nativ (08) 646- 0424; email email@example.com
• The Flying Camels Ultimate Frisbee team invites you to join them on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. at the sports field next to Shomron St. in the Neot Lon neighborhood of Beersheba. Info: Noam 054-773-9954 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Beersheba, Eshel Avraham (Masorti/Conservative) Congregation – Fri. 5:30 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. Torah classes (Hebrew, English, Russian and Spanish). Talmud classes, activities, bar/bat mitzva, Noam youth, kindergarten ages 1-6. Israeli folkdance. (08) 642-1424; (08) 642-0989.
• Beersheba English-speaking Seniors Social Club – Thursday 4-6 p.m. (08) 642-2915; 627-2593.
• Beersheba Hadassah meets the fourth Monday morning of every month, 9:30 a.m.- noon. Ganei Ye’elim, Shchuna Heh. Coffee, social, and always an interesting program/speaker. NIS 10. Info: Shirley, (08) 658- 8262.
• The AACI Southern Region Library at Matnas Yud-Alef in Beersheba has more than 6,000 volumes of fiction and non-fiction. Hours: Sun. through Wed. from 10 a.m. to 12 noon; Sun. Mon. and Wed. from 4 to 6 p.m.; and every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. 11 Mordechai Namir St. Info: (08) 643-3953.
• Beersheba Singles Club (25- 45), beersheva–singles @hotmail.com EILAT
• Tagel Arava Masorti Community Eilat. Shabbat Services: Fridays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. At former Allon School (in the caravans to rear of school). Info: 050-579-3225 or (08) 633- 4368.
• Eilat English Speakers WIZO group meet at WIZO House, Jerusalem St. 10-12 a.m. Tuesdays. Winter program incl. speakers (all welcome to submit request to speak on career, hobby etc.) Refreshments. NIS 10. Anne (08) 633-0323; Fay (08) 637-2344.
• ESRA’s unique Ethiopian embroidery products are on sale in Eilat. Kippot, mezuzot, hamsot, embroidery on towels; coasters, placemats; greeting and gift cards, all at reasonable prices. Proceeds go to the Ethiopian embroiderers. To view and purchase, call Fonda: (08) 633-2205.
• Pregnancy support in Eilat – Birth preparation, active birth, yoga and relaxation. Support after birth: mother and baby, help with breastfeeding, baby massage, yoga and relaxation. Small groups. Tues. mornings. Alison (08) 633-5024; 052-835- 1182.
• Shirat Hayam Masorti/ Conservative Synagogue – Beit Wizo, Jerusalem St., Eilat. Fri at 6 p.m. Michelle, 050-421-1591.
• Eilat – Kalooki players South African rules. Kaleen (08) 753-30705 or 050-529-1925 • Shira Hadasha (Masorati/ Conservative) in Arad – Friday (according to candle lighting time), most of the winter 4:30 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m. Lior, 052- 545-3436. “What’s Up?” – An educational mobile observatory sets up our telescope every night on or near the promenade, showing passers-by the planets and the moon with detailed explanations and handout sheets. Info 052-535-2933;054-481-9973.
• Arts & crafts market – Locally made leather goods, jewelry, ceramics, paintings, etc. Fridays 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Park Hayovel, near Imax. Artists and street performers welcome to join (upon committee approval). Billie, 054-584-1282; email@example.com
• Le Leche League Israel – Support for breastfeeding mothers. Monthly meetings throughout the country. 1-599-525-821 • Scopus: The Center for Matchmaking in the Jewish World for singles age 20-45, across the observance spectrum. (02) 532-8435; firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: www.scopus.org HAIFA & NORTH Events
• June 18: The Haifa English Theatre presents the British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love, written by Hugh and Margaret Williams, directed by Ruth Willner. At 9 p.m. at the Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.
• June 20: The Haifa English Theatre presents the 1960s British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love. Matinee at 5:30 p.m. Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.
• June 21: Monthly meeting of Hadassah Israel – Oren Chapter. Guest Shlomit Wolfin, an art teacher and graduate of the Medical Clowns Organization, will speak on “Laughter and Medicine.”At 3:30 p.m. at the Moadon, 8 Sinai Ave, Ahuza, Haifa. NIS 10 (includes refreshments). Please bring food for the needy. Leah (04) 837-5929.
• June 23: The Haifa English Theatre presents the 1960s British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love. At 8:30 p.m. at the Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.
• June 25: The Haifa English Theatre presents the 1960s British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love. At 9 p.m. at the Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.Ongoing Events
• The Karmiel English Speakers’ Club is open every Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Library, tea and coffee, board games, or just chat. For confirmation of ocasional Saturday evening opening, 7 pm. till throwout time, phone Gwenn at (04) 998-1925. Location: below the hotel, opposite the main post office.
• Two new ESRA branches in the North, for English-speaking activities, lectures and volunteering. For the Karmiel/Misgav area, contact Frankie (04) 998-2871 or e-mail email@example.com. For the Nahariya/Northern Coast areas, contact Tonielle 054-787-1452 or e-mail north.coast.esra.@gmail.com
• Kehillat Emet VeShalom Nahariya (Reform/Progressive Synagogue) – Kabbalat Shabbat Services on Fridays at 5:30 p.m. (winter time) (6 p.m. summer time) with Rabbi Israel Horowitz in Matnas Mifal Hapayis, Rehov Keren Hayesod, Nahariya. Bar/bat mitzva preparation, weddings, conversion, holiday and communal activities; study groups and courses. Information, call office at 108 Rehov Weizman, Nahariya Tel/Fax: (04) 992-9723; or email: Emet-eShalom@googlegroups.com; website: http://evsnewsletter.googlepage s.com/home
• HaMinyan HaMishpachti, Kfar Vradim. (Egalitarian, Masorti /Conservative Congregation) Kabbalat Shabbat Services 6:15 p.m.; Shabbat Morning Services 9 a.m. at Eshkol Haganim “Gefen,” Kfar Vradim. Bar/Bat Mitzva preparation, HALOM after-school program for gan hova and elementary-school children; NEW Youth Group for teenagers, ongoing Adult Educational Programs. Contacts: Rabbi Zvi Berger, 052-475-3870; Galit Haim, 052-688-1083; Ofer David 052-379-3448.
• AACI Library – English Language, 55 Shimshon St, corner Moriah St. Mon., Wed. 9 a.m.-12 a.m.; Tues. 3-5 p.m. Rayla, 837-4744.
• AACI is starting an Englishspeaking mothers and babies/toddlers group in Haifa. Casual chat, a place where your baby/toddler can play with others. Contact Rebecca, 052- 749-0227, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An English-speaking single parents group in Haifa. A social get-together sharing ups and downs of life in Israel. Interested? Contact: email@example.com.
• Gitit Choir, the veteran Haifa-based a capella mixed choir, is looking for new singers. Rudimentary music reading helpful, Rehearsals: Tuesdays 7–10:30 p.m. at the Reali Elementary School in Ahuza. Call Yarden, 054-794-3333.
• Carmel Choir (founded by Rhoda Keyson) a warm and friendly group, olim and vatikim, for amateurs and accomplished singers. Rehearsals Wednesdays 7:30- 9:30 p.m. at The Dunie Weizman Conservatory of Music. For information call Annette (04) 825-1984 or Eve (04) 834-5572, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hadera: Learn quilt making, for English speakers. Call Darlene at 050-724-9770.
• The Safed English Library – a one-of-a-kind lending library serving readers throughout Israel. Includes best-sellers, classics, health, magazines, nature, travel, Judaism, audio-books, DVDs and more. Extensive children’s library. We welcome good condition and unique books. Open Sundays (9-11:30 a.m.), Mondays (7-9 p.m.), Tuesdays (2-4:30 p.m.), Fridays (9-11 a.m.). (04) 692-1592. E-mail: email@example.com • Valleys – Amakim notice board. Join the e-mail network for residents of Jezreel Valley, Beit She’an Valley, Jordan Valley, Nazareth, Migdal Ha’emek, Afula, Beit She’an, kibbutzim, Kinneret region. You may post Events, Offers, Advice, Personals, Services, Buy, Swap, Sell, etc. Send subscription request to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name and email address.
• Kehillat Moriah Synagogue Masorti / Conservative. 7 Horev Street, Ahuza, Haifa. Kabbalat Shabbat Egalitarian Services: winter 5 p.m. / summer 6 p.m. Light music until 15 minutes before Shabbat. Shabbat morning egalitarian services 9 a.m. Bar/Bat Mitzva preparation; Noam Masorti Youth Group; ongoing adult educational programs. Contacts: Rabbi Dubi Hayun, 050-438-9802. www.moriahaifa.022.co.il. Office: (04) 825-1495, Orit. Office hours: Sun.-Thurs.8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wed. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Voices Israel Group of Poets in English meets 3rd or 4th Tuesday of the month. Bring two of your own poems for discussion. See monthly newsletter posted at the website www.freewebs.com/voicesisrael for details of meetings, workshops and poetry submissions to annual anthology and Reuben Rose International Competition. Contact: Susan Rosenberg (04) 838-1218, for Haifa, and the Northern group. For an Upper Galil group, contact: Tommy Berman (04) 690- 9476.
• Haifa Chamber Choir – Tues. at 8 p.m. Cati (04) 633-1876 • Quilt Exhibit – Illusions. O’Sheehan Gallery, the only gallery in Israel dedicated solely to the art of quilting. Moshav Bustan Hagalil, near Acre. Every Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Call ahead to schedule a weekday visit. No charge. Maureen Nachmani – 054-472-3176.
• Do you enjoy performing? The Haifa English Theater is looking for new talent – both onstage and backstage. Call Bertha at 052-365-6161 for more information.Self-Help
• Haifa AA Group meets every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Call Jon at 052-379-0741 for more details.
• The Western Galilee Serenity AA Group meets at Kehillat Emet VeShalom, 108 Weizmann Street, Nahariya, every Tuesday, 7 p.m., in the back room of the synagogue. Info: 052-306-7082.
• Codependents Anonymous English meeting, every Wed evening at 6:10 p.m. at the Karmiel English Speakers’ Club. Info: (04) 980-0329. No charge. The only requirement for membership is a desire for healthy and loving relationships.
• Karmiel: English meeting of Overeaters Anonymous, every Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Karmiel English Speakers Club. Info: (04) 980-0329.
• Emotions Anonymous – Safed chapter. Dan (04) 692-1092; 050-553-2890.
• Emotions Anonymous in Pardess Hanna, evenings. Tina: (052) 640-2010
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>