Abbas: Hamas's Executive Force must be dissolved

By
January 30, 2007 13:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Hamas-created security unit Executive Force must be dissolved as its formation was unconstitutional, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas told reporters Tuesday. "As for the issue of the Executive Force," he said of the security unit set up by the Hamas government last year, "this is illegitimate and illegal. The creation of a security force requires a law, and such a law was not passed." Referring to his negotiations with Hamas on forming a new government, Abbas said: "We only agreed on dissolving the (Executive) Force, and some of its troops will join the regular security apparatus. It will not exist as an independent force." Abbas said he "felt bad" about the continuing street battles between security forces and militia loyal to Hamas and his Fatah party, which have claimed more than 30 lives in the past five days.

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER