Abbas: If Israel rejects our terms, we'll head back to UN

Palestinian Authority President Abbas threatens to return to UN Security Council, General Assembly for state recognition if J'lem doesn't agree to pre-'67 borders, halting settlement activity.

By
February 12, 2012 20:15
2 minute read.
Abbas at Arab League in Cairo

Abbas at Arab League in Cairo_391. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Sunday that he would send messages to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and world leaders defining the terms of reference and bases for resumption of direct Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

In a speech before Arab League foreign ministers in Cairo, Abbas warned that if Israel did not reply to his messages, he would resume efforts to unilaterally seek United Nations recognition of a Palestinian state.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Abbas conditioned the resumption of direct negotiations with Israel on a full cessation of construction in settlements and east Jerusalem, Israeli acceptance of the two-state solution on the basis of the pre-1967 lines and the release of Palestinian prisoners and detainees, especially those who were imprisoned before the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993.

Abbas again hinted at the possibility of dissolving the PA if no progress is achieved to revive the peace process.

"The Palestinian Authority can not remain without authority," he said. "The status quo can not remain like this."

Abbas said that he would first wait for a response form Israel to his messages. "If they do not respond, we will begin our steps at the Security Council, General Assembly and other UN institutions," he said. "We will also demand the activation of the 1949 Geneva Convention regarding the protection of civilians during war."

Abbas added that he did not rule out the possibility that under such circumstances Congress would cut off financial aid to the PA and Israel would withhold tax revenues belonging to the Palestinians.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The PA president renewed his call to Israel to accept the 2002 Arab peace plan, which eh described as the "most precious initiative for the Palestinian cause in 60 years."

He told the Arab foreign ministers that during last month's Israeli-Palestinian-talks in Jordan, the Palestinians presented their views regarding borders and security, while Israel did not do anything.

But Israel, he charged, was refusing to freeze settlement construction, present maps and recognize the road map for peace.

Referring to last week's Qatari-brokered reconciliation accord between Fatah and Hamas, Abbas said that he would head a transitional government tasked with preparing for presidential and parliamentary elections and rebuilding the Gaza Strip.

He warned, however, that the elections would be called off if Israel did not allow the vote to take place in east Jerusalem. "We can not hold elections without east Jerusalem," Abbas stressed.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM