'Abbas campaign is hypocritical'

PM responds to accusation that nat'l heritage plan could start war in ME.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 23, 2010 21:58
2 minute read.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu

Bibi smiling and pointing 311 ap. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu issued a harsh response on Tuesday evening to a statement made by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas earlier in the day, according to which the decision to award Jewish sites in the West Bank national heritage status could ignite a war in the Middle East.

“It is a dishonest, hypocritical campaign,” read a PMO statement released in response to Abbas’s speech.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Netanyahu stressed that Hebron’s Cave of the Patriarch and Rachel’s Tomb, near Hebron, were both “gravesites of the ancestors of the Jewish people” and as such were “certainly deserving of restoration and preservation.”

He added that the Israeli government does all in its power to ensure freedom of religion for members of all faiths.

Earlier on Tuesday, Abbas had told Belgian parliamentarians that Netanyahu’s decision to include Jewish landmarks in the West Bank in the government’s new list of heritage sites was a “severe provocation” that could lead to a new cycle of violence in the region.

Abbas told the ministers that the inclusion of Rachel’s Tomb in Bethlehem and the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron on the list of sites of national importance could ignite a “war of religions."

He warned that the decision could also bring about a third intifada, adding that Netanyahu’s insistence on making the announcement only a short time after he was asked by US President Barak Obama to take confidence-building measures vis-à-vis the Palestinians.



“We have reached a very critical stage which necessitates an intensive, coordinated international effort. Settlement construction, which kills the peace process and contradicts Israel’s obligations, must be stopped,” he said, going on to refer to existing agreements such as the Road Map for Peace.

He added that the EU and the US each have important parts to play in the peace process, and that any delay in the resumption of talks would make the possibility of peace more remote.


Throughout his speech, Abbas reiterated that the impasse in Middle East peace talks can be attributed only to Israel’s refusal to accept existing agreements, and not to an alleged Palestinian refusal to return to the negotiating table.

Abbas stressed that not every issue was negotiable. If Israel wishes to begin negotiations, he said, it must stop creating facts on the ground by continuing to expand Jewish communities in Palestinian areas and in east Jerusalem.

Meanwhile on Tuesday, dozens of Palestinians held a demonstration near the Jewish enclave in Hebron in protest of Netanyahu’s decision. The protesters burned tires and hurled rocks at IDF troops stationed in the area, who retorted by using stun grenades.

Related Content

Mike Pompeo
August 18, 2018
Can Pompeo’s Iran Action Group deliver what Trump promised?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN