Cairo court throws out Camp David lawsuit

Three lawyers filed petition against president Mohammed Morsi, asking judges to cancel 1978 peace deal restricting Sinai troops.

By
October 31, 2012 23:21
1 minute read.
Sadat, Carter, Begin (L to R)

Sadat, Carter, Begin_480. (photo credit: Couretsy the Jimmy Carter Library)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

The Cairo Administrative Court dismissed on Tuesday a lawsuit calling for the 1978 Camp David peace accords between Egypt and Israel to be annulled.

Three lawyers filed the lawsuit against Egypt’s President Mohamed Morsi, Prime Minister Hisham Qandil and Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Camp David peace treaty was signed by then-Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin and his Egyptian counterpart Anwar Sadat on September 17, 1978. The treaty severely restricts the amount of Egyptian troops and artillery permitted in Sinai.

The petitioners argued that Egypt’s limited military presence in Sinai, as set out in the Camp David accords, had resulted in the growing number of terrorist groups in the peninsula. These armed militant groups directly threatened Egypt’s national sovereignty, the petition contended.

In rejecting the suit, Judge Fareed Nazieh Tanagho said that the court was not competent to hear the case, as it relates to an issue of national sovereignty, which can only be decided by Egypt’s president.

Since Morsi’s election as president in June, several groups and political figures have called on the Egyptian premier to cancel the peace treaty with Israel, particularly in the light of the growing number of jihadist groups in the Sinai peninsula.

One of the most vocal advocates for annulling the Camp David accords has been Morsi’s advisor, political analyst Mohamed Esmat Seif Dawla, who told Egypt’s al-Ahram al- Arabi magazine earlier this month that Clause 4 of the treaty restricts Egypt’s freedom and must be amended before Sinai “is fully lost.”



Dawla said that under the security arrangements stipulated in the treaty, there is also a chance that Israel may move to occupy the peninsula again.


Related Content

Doha, Qatar
June 25, 2018
Amid Arab boycott, Qatar's new friends find rich openings

By REUTERS