Mubarak 311 Reuters.
(photo credit: REUTERS/Amr Abdallah )
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's health is stable but has not improved, and there are no plans for now to move him from the Red Sea resort of Sharm e-Sheikh, an army source said on Thursday. The former president was taken to the hospital during interrogation on Tuesday after complaining of chest pains.
RELATED:Video: Mubarak and sons detained for investigation'Mubarak receives summons to appear in Cairo court'
"Mubarak's health at the moment is stable but has not improved," the source told Reuters, adding that the former president, ousted by a popular uprising on February 11, was eating very little and was on a drip.
"There are no plans to move Mubarak from Sharm e-Sheikh at the moment," the source said.
A report in Egyptian daily Al-Masri Al-Youm
earlier Thursday said that the former president was in psychological shock.
Doctors told the Egyptian paper that Mubarak's wife, Susan, asked
doctors not to inform the former president of his sons' incarceration,
because of his delicate medical condition. They added that Mubarak is
suffering from trauma and refuses to eat, but his heart is functioning
well and he does not have cancer.
"I am going through a difficult time, which no one would be able to
handle," Mubarak reportedly told investigators. "I never intended to run
for president again, because my health had deteriorated."
Also on Thursday, legal sources in Egypt said that Mubarak and his sons
are still under investigation and no date has been set for a court
appearance for questioning, a legal source said on Thursday. Egyptian
State television had said on Wednesday that the former president and his
two sons, Alaa and Gamal, had been summoned to appear before a Cairo
court on Tuesday, April 19 for questioning.
"They haven't been referred to court yet because investigations are
still ongoing," the source told Reuters, adding that the prosecutor has
established technical committees to investigate documents and papers
presented regarding their assets. He said no date had been set for any
The Al-Masri Al-Youm
report, also said that Mubarak was claiming he never commanded his army to shoot at protesters.
"I never gave any instruction to kill protesters," he reportedly said in
his investigation. "I only got reports from the streets. The only time I
spoke to the interior minister was when I asked him not to clash with
protesters...I asked the armed forces to take to the streets in order to
protect the protesters," Mubarak claimed.
According to the report, Mubarak has told investigators that intended to
resign after four days of protests, but his advisors told him to stay
longer in order to maintain stability.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>