Egypt: Quartet statement is unbalanced

Says failure to criticize Israel for rise in violence gives green light to IDF.

By
May 31, 2007 18:01
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Egypt on Thursday blasted a prominent group of Middle East peacemakers for blaming the Palestinians for the recent upsurge in fighting and sparing Israel any criticism. The Quartet of Middle East peacemakers, which includes Russia, the US, the UN and the EU, urged an end to fighting Wednesday between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, calling on the Palestinian government to "do everything necessary to restore law and order." The group, which met in Berlin, also urged "all Palestinians to immediately renounce all acts of violence and respect the cease-fire." Alaa el-Hadidy, a spokesman for Egypt's foreign ministry, described the Quartet's statement Thursday as "unbalanced." "This is tantamount to giving a green light to Israel to continue its operations in the Palestinian territories," el-Hadidy said in a statement. "The credibility of the Quartet, as a neutral side, is now at stake." A five-month truce in Gaza unraveled earlier this month when the Hamas militant group began firing barrages of rockets into southern Israel, prompting Israel to respond with a series of airstrikes. More than 50 Palestinians, most of them militants, and two Israeli civilians have been killed. The four countries also called for the release of British Broadcasting Corp. journalist Alan Johnston, who was kidnapped in Gaza on March 12. "How come the Quartet demands the immediate release of an Israeli soldier and does not condemn the kidnapping (by Israel) of the Palestinian lawmakers," el-Hadidy said. The group has seen renewed activity in recent months, though violence has continued. They plan to meet again in June, this time with Arab representatives in the Middle East. The Quartet produced the stalled road map peace plan that was to culminate with statehood for the Palestinians.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A missile from the S-300 anti-aircraft system during the International Army Games in Russia
September 18, 2018
ANALYSIS: What Russia’s Latakia condemnation means for Israel

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN