Egypt bans reports on slaying of Lebanese singer

By
August 12, 2008 17:35

An editor of an Egyptian independent newspaper said he was questioned by prosecutors Tuesday for violating a government ban on publishing information on the high profile killing of a Lebanese pop singer. Sunday's edition of the Al-Dustour daily was barred from distribution by authorities because it included an article on arrest of an Egyptian in the slaying of singer Suzanne Tamim last month in the Gulf emirate of Dubai. The article remained on the paper's Web site. Tamim was found stabbed and decapitated in her Dubai apartment on July 28, and since then her killing has been a top story in Arab media outside Egypt. Egypt's chief prosecutor Abdel-Maguid Mahmoud imposed a ban on publication without giving any explanation, but the order came after reports in Arab media that Egyptians, including a top-level businessman, may have been involved.


Related Content

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani walks to deliver a speech during the Conference of Government’s Ach
September 17, 2019
Iran says it held talks with Afghanistan

By REUTERS