Egypt sentences Muslim to death over Copt attack

In case that underlines sectarian tensions, Muslim man sentenced to death for killing two in dispute with Christians,

By REUTERS
March 25, 2013 20:18
1 minute read.
A Coptic Christian Cross

Coptic Christian Cross R370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Amr Dalsh)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - A Muslim man was sentenced to death in Egypt on Monday for killing two people in a dispute with Christians in a southern town, state media said, in a case that underlines sectarian tensions in the country.

Incidents of Christian-Muslim violence have increased in Egypt, an overwhelmingly Muslim nation, since the toppling of former President Hosni Mubarak in 2011. His overthrow gave freer rein to hardline Islamists repressed under his rule.

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood politician elected last year, has promised to protect the rights of Coptic Christians, who make up about 10 percent of the country's 83 million population.

A court in Upper Egypt found Mahmoud Abdel-Nazir guilty of raiding several Christian houses and killing two people in November 2011, state news agency MENA said. The agency did not say if those killed were Christian.

Violence had erupted after a Coptic man beat Abdel-Nazir's brother to death with an iron rod in an argument over the use of a village street, MENA said.

Abdel-Nazir and several other people then attacked houses and shops belonging to relatives of the Christian man, killing a farmer and a trader, the agency said. Two people were injured and several buildings were set on fire.


The judge sent the sentence to the Grand Mufti, Egypt's highest religious authority who needs to confirm death penalties. This is a procedural step that almost always results in confirmation of the sentence.

Since Mubarak was ousted, Christians have complained of several attacks on churches by radical Islamists, incidents that have sharpened longstanding Christian complaints about being sidelined in the workplace and in law.

As an example, they point to rules that make it harder to obtain official permission to build a church than a mosque.

Sectarian tensions have often flared into violence, particularly in rural areas where rivalries between clans or families sometimes add to friction. Romantic relations between Muslims and Christians are regularly to blame for clashes.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the Yazidi refugee camp in Mount Sinjar, Iraq February 4, 2019
February 20, 2019
Survivors of ISIS genocide have nothing, four years later

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN