Tahrir square protesters 311 AP.
(photo credit: Associated Press)
CAIRO — The Egyptian government pledged Monday to investigate official corruption and election fraud but thousands of protesters swore not to move from the heart of downtown Cairo until Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak steps down.
RELATED:Analysis: From pro-Tahrir Square to deep ambivalenceElBaradei on Egypt negotiations: Process is 'opaque'
After two weeks of instability that pushed the most populous Arab nation to the edge of anarchy, the crisis appears to be settling into at least temporary stasis.
A series of government concessions have left the protesters dissatisfied but the scene has remained calm, with Tahrir Square resembling a carnival more than the rock-strewn battlefield of recent days.
Mubarak's regime appears confident in its ability for the moment to ride
out what remains of an unprecedented storm of unrest, and maintain its
grip on power, with Western backing, at least until September elections.
Egypt's state-run news agency reported that Mubarak ordered the
country's parliament and its highest appellate court to reexamine
lower-court rulings disqualifying hundreds of ruling party lawmakers for
campaign and ballot irregularities, that were ignored by electoral
The ruling National Democratic Party won more than 83 percent of the 518
seats in the 2010 parliamentary elections. Implementing the rulings
against NDP lawmakers could cause many to lose their seats and force the
dissolution of the parliament and new elections if enough are
JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:
Judicial officials promised to start the questioning on Tuesday of three
former ministers and a senior ruling party official who were accused of
corruption charges after they were dismissed by Mubarak last week. The
cabinet reshuffle was intended to placate protesters by removing some of
the most hated officials in the government.
A detained Google Inc. marketing manager who has helped organization
anti-Mubarak demonstrations also was expected to be released.Protester: 'Our main objective is for Mubarak to step down'
Protesters in the relatively small morning crowd of several thousand on the square said they remained unsatisfied.
"Our main objective is for Mubarak to step down," said student Mohammed Eid. "We don't accept any other concessions."
Inside Cairo's main square, demonstrators were trying to establish an
enduring presence, complete with food and entertainment such as
strolling musicians and poetry recitals. Many are lying in front of army
tanks, or resting on their treads, in attempts to prevent a feared push
to move the protesters from the square.
But the army seems to be treating the protesters like a new feature of
life downtown in Cairo, which seemed Monday morning to be closer to its
normal weekday routine than on any day since the Jan. 25 start of the
Banks were open for limited hours along with some shops. The stock
market remained closed and schools were shut for the mid-year holiday.
Traffic was returning to ordinary levels in many places.
On Sunday, Egypt's newly named vice president met with the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood
and other opposition groups for the first time. He promised a series of
concessions including: when security permits, the government will lift
nearly 30-year-old emergency laws giving police far-reaching powers for
detention and suppression of civil and human rights; the government will
no longer hamper freedom of press or interfere with text messaging or
the Internet; a committee of judiciary and political figures will study
reform the constitution to allow more candidates to run for president
and impose term limits on the president; the government will make no
recriminations against those participating in the anti-government
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>