Egyptian police kill bombing suspect

Nasser Khamis el-Mallahi was a leader in Egypt's Monotheism and Jihad groups.

By
May 9, 2006 14:56
1 minute read.
Egyptian police kill bombing suspect

Sinai blast 298.88. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Police have killed the leader of an al-Qaida affiliated terrorist group who was wanted for last month's Sinai bombings that killed 21 people, said the local police command. Nasser Khamis el-Mallahi, the leader of Egypt's Monotheism and Jihad, was shot dead and his accomplice captured in a gunbattle in an olive grove on Tuesday morning, said the commander of North Sinai security police, Lt. Gen. Essam el-Sheik. The killing of the group leader came a day after Israel warned its citizens to stay away from the Sinai, a popular destination with Israeli tourists, because of an "increased threat of kidnapping of Israeli citizens on the Sinai coast." El-Sheik said security forces surrounded the olive grove in el-Karama district, south of El-Arish, after receiving a tip that el-Mallahi and his accomplice were hiding there. Bedouin scouts had also reported that tracks of two suspects led into the grove. El-Mallahi, 30, was wanted for the three bombs that detonated almost simultaneously in the Red Sea resort of Dahab on April 24 in which 21 people were killed. He was married to a Palestinian and three children, police said. His group, Monotheism and Jihad, has also been accused of carrying out the attacks in the Sinai resorts of Taba and Ras Shitan in October 2004 and in Sharm el-Sheik in July 2005. El-Sheik identified the accomplice as Mohammed Abdullah Abu Grair and said he was not wounded in Tuesday's shootout. Police found automatic rifles and hand-grenades at the scene.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo walks with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir in Riyadh
October 16, 2018
Pompeo meets Saudi King Salman over missing journalist Khashoggi

By REUTERS