Ex-presidential guard given death for collaborating with Israel

PA "military court" in Hebron sentencing of man the eight of its kind in the past few months.

January 26, 2009 00:34
1 minute read.
collaborator pals, 298 ap

collaborator 248.88. (photo credit: AP)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Palestinian Authority "military court" in Hebron on Sunday sentenced another Palestinian to death by firing squad on suspicion of "collaboration" with Israel. The 28-year-old man, who used to serve in the PA's elite Presidential Guard, is the eighth Palestinian to receive the death sentence in the past few months. But none of the death verdicts, which require the approval of PA President Mahmoud Abbas, have been carried out. The latest death sentence was issued by a three-judge panel in Hebron after holding 10 sessions to look into the charges against the former security officer. The court was told that the accused, a resident of the Al-Aroub refugee camp north of Hebron, was recruited as an informant for Israel in 1997 while working at a car wash in Gush Etzion. Presiding Judge Ahmed Abu Dayyah said in his verdict that the accused had been found guilty of collaboration with the "enemy." He said the actions of the accused resulted in the killing of a Palestinian gunman and the arrest of others who had sought sanctuary inside the Church of the Nativity during Operation Defensive Shield. The man was also found guilty of passing on information to the Shin Bet that led to the arrest of Adnan Abayat, the former commander of Fatah's armed wing, the Aksa Martyrs Brigades, and his deputy, Rateb Abayat. The two, who operated in the Bethlehem area, were hiding inside a local hospital when they were caught by the IDF and later sentenced to life imprisonment. Defense lawyer Yusef al-Ribie told the court that his client had been tortured during interrogation and called for his immediate release.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Flag palestine
April 22, 2019
Bipartisan bill urges Congress to publish annual report on PA incitement