Gaza Strip: 2 dead in tunnel collapse

Victims aged 18, 20; Egypt opens border to allow hundreds of Muslim pilgrims to travel to Mecca.

By
September 12, 2009 16:35
Gaza Strip: 2 dead in tunnel collapse

Gaza tunnel kid 248.88 ap. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Two tunnels used for smuggling goods from Egypt into Gaza collapsed on Saturday, killing two people. The two victims were 18 and 20 years old, according to Dr. Moawiya Hassanain, a Palestinian health official. Gaza smugglers operate dozens of underground tunnels to haul in everything from motorcycles and cement to cows and chocolates. Many goods are scarce since Israel and Egypt clamped a blockade on Gaza following the violent Hamas takeover of the territory in June 2007. The local human rights group Mezan says 107 tunnel workers have died in accidents since then, most of them young men. In other developments, Egypt opened its border crossing with Gaza on Saturday to allow hundreds of Muslim pilgrims to travel to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Hamas officials said the crossing is to remain open for four days.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 12, 2018
Can Saudi Arabia compete as Iran flexes its economic muscles in Iraq?

By REUTERS