Hamas denies involvements in Sinai attack

Egyptian paper names 3 members of Hamas's armed wing of involvement in terrorist attack that killed 16 Egyptian guards.

By
March 15, 2013 03:04
1 minute read.
Exploded vehicle in Sinai Attack.

Exploded vehicle in Sinai Attack 390. (photo credit: IDF Spokesman's Office)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hamas’s armed wing, Izzadin Kassam, on Thursday vehemently denied involvement in a terrorist attack that killed 16 Egyptian border guards in Sinai last August.

The denial came in response to a report in the Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram which named three Hamas members as having participated in the killing of the soldiers.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The three men, all senior figures in Izzadin Kassam, were identified as Ayman Nofal, Muhammad Ibrahim Abu Shamalah and Read al-Attar.

According to the report, Attar was one of those who planned and executed the abduction of IDF soldier Gilad Schalit in 2006.

The paper said that Hamas decided to carry out the attack on the Egyptian military outpost in retaliation against the Egyptian army’s destruction of a large number of smuggling tunnels along the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.

Al-Ahram editor Ashraf Bader said Egyptian intelligence and security officers confirmed to him the involvement of the Hamas men in the killings.

Abu Obaida, spokesman for Izzadin Kassam, accused the Egyptian media of lying and attempting to involve Hamas in Egypt’s internal affairs.



He said that the report in Al-Ahram was nothing but “illusions and lies nesting in the head of its editor.” The Hamas spokesman said that his movement would sue the Egyptian newspaper for engaging in lies and fraud.

The latest report follows a series of allegations in the Egyptian media about Hamas’s alleged attempts to undermine Egyptian security and stability.

Earlier this year, an Egyptian TV station quoted security officials in Cairo as saying that Hamas has sent thousands of its men to the Egyptian capital to protect President Mohamed Morsi against his political opponents. This report was also denied by Hamas.

Some Hamas officials believe that Palestinian Authority security forces in the West Bank are behind the Egyptian accusations.

The officials said that the PA security forces were trying to drive a wedge between Hamas and the Egyptians “with the help of former aides to ousted president Hosni Mubarak.”

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Iran Supreme Leader admits mistake regarding nuclear talks

By REUTERS