Hamas men wounded in Gaza strike

Operatives are responsible for making Kassam rockets; 9 others wounded.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, AP
November 19, 2006 14:56
2 minute read.
Hamas men wounded in Gaza strike

iaf strike gaza 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Hours after the IDF cancelled a missile strike on a home in the Gaza Strip which was surrounded by a Palestinian human shield, IAF aircraft bombed a car carrying terrorists in Gaza City Sunday afternoon wounding nine people including two heads of Hamas's Kassam rocket infrastructure. Palestinian hospital officials said four of the nine wounded were teenagers, including a 13-year-old, who were hurt by shrapnel. According to the IDF, one of the Hamas terrorists in the car was a senior member of the terror group, responsible for the manufacturing of Kassam rockets. Also Sunday, 11 Kassam rockets pounded the western Negev, mostly landing in Sderot and seriously wounding one resident. Last week, one woman was killed and two others were serisouly wounded in a Kassam barrage on the southern town. The IAF missile strike followed an announcement by Attallah Khairi, the Palestinian Ambassador to Jordan, who said that Fatah's Badr Brigade was making final preparations to enter Gaza, following the IDF shelling in Beit Hanun that resulted in the accidental deaths of 19 Palestinian civilians. Israel has yet to give its final consend to allow the 1,500 soldiers enter into Gaza but Khaii said he was hopeful they would arrive by the end of the year. The standoff over the home of the wanted Palestinian began late Saturday when Mohammed Baroud, leader the Popular Resistance Committees (PRC) and involved in Kassam rocket fire on Israel, was informed by the army that his house would be hit. The three-story building is home to 17 people from Baroud's clan. Instead of leaving, Baroud decided to stay in his home and called in reinforcements. He was quickly joined by crowds of supporters, including dozens of armed men, who gathered on balconies, rooftops and in the streets outside. Local mosques and Palestinian TV and radio stations also mobilized supporters. The crowd chanted anti-Israel and anti-American slogans, and people said they were prepared to give their lives to protect the home. "Yes to martyrdom, no to surrender," the crowd chanted. Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas stopped by to show his support. "We are so proud of this national stand. It's the first step toward protecting our homes, the homes of our children," he said. Meanwhile Sunday, the IDF rejected United Nations claims that stray Israeli gunfire had hit a UN school in the northern Gaza Strip, wounding two children, including a 7-year-old boy who was hit in the head as he sat at his desk. The UN Relief and Works Agency appealed for protection of civilians in the Gaza Strip after Saturday's shooting. "At present, children are not safe even in United Nations classrooms. We urgently need a solution," said John Ging, the agency's Gaza field director. The military said there was no army activity in the area The spokesman's office said a thorough investigation showed there was no Israeli gunfire in that area. The IDF said it was possible the building was struck by Palestinian gunfire. The incident was the first time Palestinians have tried to prevent an airstrike.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Hizbullah rockets
October 22, 2018
Russia supports Syria, Iran ramps up support to Hezbollah

By VICTOR CABRERA/THE MEDIA LINE