Hamas's Zahar: I don't know who committed Eilat attacks

Senior Hamas official says that Israel fabricating reasons to attack Gaza, Palestinian factions reserve right to attack despite truce.

By
August 24, 2011 17:32
1 minute read.
Hamas official Mahmoud al-Zahar

Mahmoud al-Zahar smirking (R) 311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Last week’s terrorist attacks near Eilat are “mysterious” and Hamas does not know anything about the identity of the perpetrators, Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahar said on Wednesday.

He also said that the current cease-fire with Israel was “based on the principle of deterring the occupation and not succumbing to its threats.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


ELATED:
'PA silence over terror raises questions about statehood'
'Iran cuts funding for Hamas due to Syria unrest'


He said that the last terror attacks were a “mysterious operation” and accused Israel of exploiting them to launch military strikes against the Gaza Strip.

“Until now we don’t know who carried out the attacks and where they came from,” Zahar was quoted by the Palestinian Maan news agency as saying.

He pointed out that Israel still hasn’t published the names or photos of the perpetrators and that no Palestinian group has claimed responsibility.

Zahar said that the Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip were therefore “unjustified.” He added that the rocket and missile attacks on Israel came in response to the air strike that killed four leaders of the Popular Resistance Committees in Rafah last Friday.



He stressed that Hamas was keen on maintaining the state of calm so as not to give Israel an excuse to reoccupy the Gaza Strip. Hamas, he added, will not play the role of policeman who defends Israeli interests.

Zahar said that the cease-fire which Hamas seeks is one that’s based “on the principle of deterring the enemy and not cooperating with it or succumbing to its dictates and threats.”

Click for full Jpost coverage

Related Content

August 17, 2018
German Jewish council urges end of Iran-Germany trade

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL