Hariri indictment expected within days

Five Hezbollah officials likely to be charged in former Lebanese PM's assassination, Arabic paper reports

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 28, 2011 03:11
2 minute read.
Slain Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri

311_Rafik Hariri. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Lebanese officials said on Monday they expected a UN-backed tribunal investigating the assassination of former prime minister Rafik Hariri to issue indictments over the coming days.

The long-awaited indictments are expected to accuse Hezbollah members of involvement in the killing and have already triggered a political crisis that brought
down the government of Hariri’s son, Saad, in January.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Hariri Tribunal prosecutor amends indictment
Lebanese protesters call on Hezbollah to give up weapons


The extremist group, which denies any role in the 2005 assassination, and its allies resigned from the younger Hariri’s unity government just days before the tribunal prosecutor filed his indictments to a pre-trial judge on January 17.

The indictments, twice amended since then, have remained secret while the pretrial judge assessed whether there was enough evidence to proceed with a trial.

A spokesman for the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) declined to comment on reports in two pan-Arab newspapers Monday that the indictments would be issued within two days. One of them, Asharq al-Awsat, said five Hezbollah members would be indicted.

“The STL has no comment to make about the content of the indictment,” spokesman Marten Youssef said.



“The integrity of the STL proceedings requires that legal considerations alone determine if and when the tribunal will make any announcement about the completion of the review process,” he said.

Lebanese officials said they expected the indictments to be issued this week or next, but gave no details.

An official source said Lebanese judges who are part of the tribunal had left Lebanon. Local media said this could be a precautionary move to ensure their safety when the indictments were issued.

Hariri was killed by a huge truck bomb, triggering international condemnation that forced neighboring Syria to end a 29-year military presence in Lebanon.

Six months after the February 14, 2005, assassination, four pro-Syrian Lebanese generals were arrested at the request of the UN investigator.

A report delivered to the UN Security Council initial findings implicated high-ranking Syrian and Lebanese officials in the murder. The generals were released in 2009 for lack of evidence.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah has since said that the group expects some of its members to be accused by the tribunal, which it describes as a tool of Israel.

Hezbollah pulled out of Saad Hariri’s government after he rejected its demands to cut ties with the tribunal, withdraw the Lebanese judges and end Lebanon’s contribution to its budget.

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Iran Supreme Leader admits mistake regarding nuclear talks

By REUTERS