Hezbollah denies training Bahraini protesters

Bahrain lodges complaint to Lebanese gov't after Nasrallah pledges support to protesters, Arab press reports rebels trained with Hezbollah.

By REUTERS
March 31, 2011 11:48
2 minute read.
Bahraini ruler Sheikh al-Khalifa

Bahraini ruler Sheikh al-Khalifa 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah denied on Thursday it had given military training to Shi'ite Bahraini protesters who have been demanding reforms in the Sunni-ruled Gulf Arab kingdom.

Bahraini Foreign Minister Sheikh Khaled bin Ahmed Al Khalifa said in an interview with pan-Arab Al Hayat newspaper on Wednesday that Hezbollah, which he described as a terrorist organization, had trained Bahraini "elements" in Lebanon.

RELATED:
Bahraini FM accuses Hezbollah of training Shi’ite protester
Maps released of Hezbollah's military sites, bunkers

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Last week Bahrain lodged a formal complaint to the Lebanese government over Iran-backed Hezbollah's offer of support to the protesters, highlighting growing tensions in the world's largest oil-exporting region between Sunni-ruled Arab countries and non-Arab Shi'ite power Iran.

In a recent televised speech Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah offered support to the protesters in Bahrain, but did not specify what kind of help.

"The accusation of training and attempting to give the issue of what is happening in Bahrain a military or security dimension is something that we cannot be silent about," Hezbollah said in a statement.

Click for full Jpost coverage of turmoil in the Middle East

"We have to affirm that our Bahraini brothers did not ask us for any military or security training on any day and we have not given any training of that kind," it said, adding that the group had only provided political and moral support for the protests.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Hezbollah denied it had any cadres or Lebanese individuals operating in the Gulf nation "and Hezbollah does not have any cells in Bahrain, either composed of Bahrainis or any other nationalities".

Bahrain also suspended flights to Lebanon and warned its nationals not to travel there after Nasrallah criticized Arab states for backing Bahrain's rulers while supporting the rebels in Libya.

Bahrain's Sunni rulers imposed martial law and brought in troops from Sunni-led Gulf neighbors, including Saudi Arabia, to quell weeks of unrest during pro-democracy demonstrations by Bahrain's majority Shi'ites.

Twenty four people were killed in clashes between police and protesters, according to the government.

Hezbollah renewed on Thursday its condemnation of the Bahraini government for the "arbitrary and repressive measures" it has taken against Bahrainis. Bahrain's opposition Shi'ite Wefaq party says 250 people have been detained and another 44 have gone missing since the crackdown.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 23, 2018
Report: Murdered journalist's remains found in Saudi consul's garden

By ZACHARY KEYSER