Hezbollah says it struck Israeli troops in southern Lebanon

Nasrallah says Hezbollah fighters planted bombs in area, detonating them when IDF soldiers arrived, injuring four last week.

By REUTERS
August 14, 2013 22:21
1 minute read.
IDF soldier looks into Lebanon near Metula

IDF soldier with binoculars 370 . (photo credit: REUTERS/Finbarr O'Reilly)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT  – Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah claimed responsibility on Wednesday for explosions that wounded four Israeli soldiers who allegedly infiltrated southern Lebanon last week.

Nasrallah told Beirut-based Al- Mayadeen television that Hezbollah fighters planted bombs in an area they knew in advance Israeli soldiers would pass through, and detonated one of them when a first group of special forces reached the area.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A second bomb was triggered when Israeli reinforcements arrived, Nasrallah said, giving the group’s first account of an incident about which Israeli military officials have given few details.

On Tuesday, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said the incident was isolated and that he did not view it as an escalation.

Hezbollah is well armed but deterred, and the IDF would ensure it remained deterred, he added.

The Lebanese army said last week the Israeli soldiers had crossed 400 meters into Lebanese territory when the blasts occurred.

An Israeli spokesman said only that four soldiers were wounded during “an activity near the border.”

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“This was a controlled and deliberate operation,” Nasrallah said of the explosions.

“It was not accidental, and was not [caused by] a land mine left behind by the Israeli occupation.”

Nasrallah did not say how the Hezbollah fighters knew in advance of the alleged Israeli incursion, but said the group “will not accept these territorial violations” into Lebanon.

Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A missile from the S-300 anti-aircraft system during the International Army Games in Russia
September 18, 2018
ANALYSIS: What Russia’s Latakia condemnation means for Israel

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN