ISIS affiliate in Egypt claims to behead Croatian hostage in Sinai

Sinai Province terror group publishes photo purporting to show beheaded hostage.

By REUTERS
August 12, 2015 14:38
1 minute read.
isis

Croatian hostage in Sinai. (photo credit: ISLAMIC SOCIAL MEDIA)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - Islamic State's Egyptian affiliate published a photograph it said was of the beheaded body of a Croatian hostage it had threatened to kill last week, the SITE monitoring service said on Wednesday.

Reuters could not independently verify the authenticity of the picture, which carried a caption that said: "killing of the Croatian hostage, due to his country's participation in the war against Islamic State, after the deadline expired ... ".

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


If confirmed, it would be the first beheading of a Western hostage held by Sinai Province, the Egyptian group which changed its name from Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis after it pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

A spokesman at the Egyptian Interior Ministry's press office said: "We have seen this news on line but are currently making our own checks. If we confirm that it is indeed true, we will inform the media through a statement."

The Croatian embassy said it was not authorized to comment and referred all queries to the Croatian foreign ministry. A spokeswoman for the ministry said she had no information. Croation Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic announced an extraordinary news conference for 5 p.m. (1500 GMT).

The photograph, circulating on Twitter accounts of supporters of Sinai Province, shows a man's severed head lying on his body, with a knife driven into sand next to it and the black Islamic State flag in the background.

Next to the picture, there are screenshots of Arabic language news articles with headlines saying: "Croatia confirms its support for Egypt in efforts to fight terrorism and extremism" and "Croatia affirms its continued support for the Kurdistan region."



Last week, an online video purportedly from Sinai Province showed a man who identified himself as Tomislav Salopek who said the group would kill him in 48 hours if Muslim women in Egyptian jails were not freed.

Ardiseis Egypt, a unit of French oil and gas geology company CGG, confirmed that the video showed one of its employees who was kidnapped on July 22 while traveling to Cairo.

No immediate comment could be obtained from CGG.

Related Content

July 16, 2018
Mass protests sweep Iraq, target pro-Iran militias and parties

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN