ISIS butcher 'Jihadi John' vows to 'return to Britain for more beheadings'

'Daily Mail' obtains video clip showing Mohammed Emwazi, a Kuwaiti-born Londoner who emigrated to Britain in 1988 at the age of six.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 23, 2015 08:46
1 minute read.
"Jihadi John," the Briton named Mohammed Emwazi

"Jihadi John," the Briton named Mohammed Emwazi. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

"Jihadi John," the menacing British national who appeared in Islamic State propaganda clips taunting the West just before beheading bound hostages, is back.

The British newspaper Daily Mail obtained a video clip on Sunday showing the man who has been identified as 27-year-old Mohammed Emwazi, a resident of London, threatening to return to the United Kingdom and commit more atrocities in the name of radical Islam.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The clip is the first time Emwazi has been seen publicly since January, when he was filmed brutally beheading Japanese hostage Kenji Goto. It is significant in that it is also the only known video in which Emwazi's face is seen exposed.

The Daily Mail reported that it had obtained the clip from Free Syrian Army fighters who gave it to their supporters in Europe.

"I will carry on cutting heads," Emwazi reportedly said in the clip. "I am Mohammed Emwazi. I will soon go back to Britain with the khalifa (the leader of ISIS)."

According to a report which appeared in last month's The Mirror, Emwazi fled ISIS after he was identified as the murderer of American and British hostages.

Emwazi is a Kuwaiti-born Londoner who emigrated to Britain in 1988 at the age of six. He has murdered multiple foreign journalists, including two Americans, Steven Sotloff and James Foley.



A former ISIS translator told Sky News in March that Emwazi was then seen as the Islamic State group's chief executioner and was both feared and respected in the organization.

But now, according to the Mirror, Emwazi is believed to fear that his unmasking identification by the foreign media has "diminished his value as an ISIS killer and that jealous fellow jihadists might plot against him."  

Related Content

A muslim pilgrim takes a video with his mobile phone while others circle the Kaaba and pray at the G
August 20, 2018
Repentant Muslims gather on Mount Arafat for Hajj climax

By REUTERS