In final ruling, Egypt court rejects transfer of Red Sea islands to Saudi Arabia

In June, the court annulled the agreement, saying Egyptian sovereignty over the islands could not be given up.

By REUTERS
January 16, 2017 12:22
1 minute read.
Tiran Island

Tiran Island. (photo credit: MARC RYCKAERT (MJJR) / WIKIMEDIA COMMONS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Egyptian court rejected on Monday a government plan to transfer two uninhabited Red Sea islands to Saudi Arabia, in a final ruling that prompted cheers in the courtroom but could deepen tensions with the country's erstwhile financial backer.

Egypt's government announced during a visit by the Saudi king in April a maritime demarcation accord that would see it cede control of Tiran and Sanafir.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The deal prompted protests from Egyptians who said they had been taught in school that the islands belonged to them.

It has become a source of tension between Egypt and Saudi Arabia, which showered its ally with tens of billions of dollars in aid in recent years but suspended petroleum supplies in September amid growing differences.

Two leading lawyers challenged the legality of the accord at the Higher Administrative Court, a powerful judicial body which deals with cases involving the government and public entities.

In June, the court annulled the agreement, saying Egyptian sovereignty over the islands could not be given up.

The Egyptian government received a boost last month when the court upheld its appeal but it lost the final appeal on Monday.



Celebrations erupted as the judge read out the verdict confirming Egyptian sovereignty over Tiran and Sanafir and saying that the government had failed to provide evidence that the islands belonged to Saudi Arabia.

Outside the courthouse, hundreds of people waving Egyptian flags chanted "Egyptian, Egyptian" and "Bread, Freedom, the islands are Egyptian."

Khaled Ali and Malek Adly, the two human rights lawyers who led the legal challenge to the government's plan, were carried out of the courtroom by jubilant supporters.

"This verdict is a victory for Egypt," Adly said.

There was no immediate response from the government.

Saudi and Egyptian officials had argued that the islands belonged to Saudi Arabia and were only under Egyptian control because Riyadh asked Cairo in 1950 to protect them.

But the lawyers who opposed the accord said Egypt's sovereignty over the islands dated back to a treaty in 1906, before Saudi Arabia was founded.







Related Content

August 15, 2018
Nasrallah: We're stronger than the IDF, will soon be victorious in Syria

By JULIANE HELMHOLD