Iran says missile test 'not a message' to Trump

A spokesman from the Iranian Foreign Ministry said that the country's most recent missile launch was not meant as a message to the Trump administration.

By REUTERS
February 6, 2017 14:42
1 minute read.
Iran's national flags are seen on a square in Tehran, Iran

Iran's national flags are seen on a square in Tehran, Iran.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DUBAI - Iran said on Monday a recent missile trial launch was not intended to send a message to new US President Donald Trump and to test him, since after a series of policy statements Iranian officials already "know him quite well."

Iran test-fired a new ballistic missile last week, prompting Washington to impose some new sanctions on Tehran. Trump tweeted that Tehran, which has cut back its nuclear program under a 2015 deal with world powers easing economic sanctions, was "playing with fire."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted by Tasnim news agency as saying: "Iran's missile test was not a message to the new US government.

"There is no need to test Mr Trump as we have heard his views on different issues in recent days... We know him quite well."

Iran has test-fired several ballistic missiles since the 2015 deal, but the latest test on January 29 was the first since Trump entered the White House. Trump said during his election campaign that he would stop Iran's missile program.

Qasemi said The US government was "still in an unstable stage" and Trump's comments were "contradictory."

"We are waiting to see how the US government will act in different international issues to evaluate their approach."



Despite heated words between Tehran and Washington, US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Saturday he was not considering strengthening US forces in the Middle East to address Iran's "misbehavior."

Hamid Aboutalebi, deputy chief of staff of Iran's President Hassan Rouhani, tweeted on Monday that the US government "should de-escalate regional tension not adding to it," and Washington should "interact with Iran" rather than challenging it.

Iran announced on Saturday that it will issue visas for a US wrestling team to attend the Freestyle World Cup competition, reversing a decision to ban visas for the team in retaliation for an executive order by Trump banning visas for Iranians.

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Pro-Assad villages evacuated in deal with Syrian rebels

By REUTERS